Introduction

Reaction score
Hi there...we have a pond that is about 3 years old...we are still learning every day. We have 6 comets and 7 koi, and at least one frog. The picture is last year...this year we have been redoing the border and trying to experiment with different plants. We hope to get the hardscape "finished" by this fall, then revise the plants.
IMG_5720.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
tengbells
Nice pond and plants. Like your stream w/falls and the pattern on your lily pads is cool.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice looking pond! Welcome to our group!

Reaction score
We live in Eastern TN...last year was a tough winter for our plants, although the fish did great. Our pond is approx. 1000 gallons. I have dreams of expanding it someday, but I think my hubby would flip if he heard me say that! We are adding an elevated viewing paver patio next to the pond and then we will add some larger rocks and re plant and revise the planting. As I said in my intro, we are learning more each day about koi keeping and pond maintenance. I look forward to getting tips and discovering resources to keep our pond healthy!

Aaron S

K5ATG
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome to the group.
Don't worry, we are all learning everyday! This forum contains the collective knowledge of those of us that still love to learn and to share our knowledge with others.
You do have a very beautiful pond there!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
when it comes to ponding you never stop learning and you are never done with your pond .There are a wealth of ideas on here .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
As your next year comes along, it might be interesting to see what trees come up from animal and bird visits. I have one of my oldest ponds ringed by 30 foot trees.

Welcome to the never ending hobby.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum from Plymouth in the UK
Steve I like that "welcome to the never ending hobby", sounds like us that your an old timer at fish keeping, weve been koi keeping for 27 years now.
How are you on koi health issues my friend we can always use some more knowledge on the health forum ?:happy:

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Welcome to the forum from Plymouth in the UK
Steve I like that "welcome to the never ending hobby", sounds like us that your an old timer at fish keeping, weve been koi keeping for 27 years now.
How are you on koi health issues my friend we can always use some more knowledge on the health forum ?:happy:

Dave
Hi Dave/Val
I work a lot with environmental issues and water certainly is one of them. Kinda nice that my old hobbies always seem to fit in.

First thing is to know your water. I was lucky to have access to an atomic absorption machine while I was doing research about thirty years ago. I ran over 200 tests on my springs in my spare time. Hardness, minerals, particulate matter, nitrates ect help in chasing problems, but usually its bacteria, parasites or oxygen depletion from overcrowding Can't really blame people for wanting to see a mass of fish :)swimming in schools. In the years I've lost my share.:cool:
If I see a fish in distress He/She goes into isolation and possibly medication. I use this 500 gal partition filter(see pics) for this and a lot of other jobs that involve water.
NO, I did not shell out$4500 for this sweet solution, but my engineer buddy bought it as a deal and found it too big to filter his pond. I don't think he gave it a lot of thought for its other uses and his wife considered it an eyesore. He and I trade water lilies etc.

I like your credo.Fish are for life; so is my 38 year old Parrot:nailbiting:(still have all my fingers.); and don't forget my Greyhound hobby.

Keep busy and you never get old. Thanks for the heads up on the Health forum. I always remember advice is cheep and you can lead a horse to Water, but he won't always drink.

PS I'm British decent, as was my wife. I just finished entertaining the second bunch of relatives from Merry Old, this year.
Steve

Attachments

• IMAG1132.jpg
    IMAG1132.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 282
  • IMAG1133.jpg
    IMAG1133.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 269

Ask a Question