LIlly Growth

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
So i bought 3 nice hardy lilllys online that were starting to bud already. One of them is growing real slow, other two nothing is happening. I moved the two to shallow water, i gave them fertilizer as well. Is it because of the rain/cloudy and lack of heat here in northeast so far? the water is not warm enough? any thoughts?
Thanks

Reaction score
How long have they been in the shallows? Unless you are upstate, I'd think your weather would be similar to mine this time of year ... We have 16 pots of lilies, and only 2 are not up (have 3 of this one) ... thinking they may not come up at all (transplants) BUT not giving up on them yet ...

Did you buy them potted, did you pot them? just wondering if they could be planted too deep in the pots ....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I moved them to the shallows a week ago. i had pebbles on top of the planting media, maybe that was blocking some growth/sun? the one seems to be growing ok, not great in 2ft deep , other 2 are sucking wind. I just removed some of the pebbles/rocks from the containers, maybe that helps.

Reaction score
it would depend on how deep in the pots they are planted ... we have about an inch of 3/8" gravel on top of ours (they are planted in plain kitty litter)... if you can, try raising the non growing ones, so that there is only 6-8" of water above the top of the pot for a week or two... I dont know about you, but we;ve had a mix of good then crappy, then good, THEN crappy weather ... Ive had enough of the rain ....

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You want to make sure the growing tip is not covered by anything. Sometimes I lay the tuber on the litter, barely covered and hold it down with a rock.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Warmth is one key to growth. If you can move the pot to a tub or something that will warm up more during the day it could help give them a kick.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Agree, we have been cool this spring, mine were slow to start, but now going crazy Shallow and sun will get them going.

Reaction score
I just went outside to check on our two that are doing nothing ... when it warms a bit more, going to run my fingers in the top of the gravel to see if I can find the tip. The good news is the first bud, which has been teasing me for more than a week is finally getting ready to do something:)

Attachments

• DSCN6379.JPG
    DSCN6379.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 236

Ask a Question