Lilly growth

Sweet Lew

Pond Noob
Reaction score
Hello All!

When I shut down the pond last fall I was advised to trim down the lillies as part of the winterizing procedure. The pond has been up and running for 3 weeks and I don;t really see much\if any growth. When should I expect to see signs?

Thanks,

Lew

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
as long as the rhyzone and roots didnt freeze it'll happen... they should have been cut 1 - 2 inches above rhyzone (tubor).. you can start them o0ff in shallower water to absorb more sun

Sweet Lew

Pond Noob
Reaction score
Thanks . I think you were the one who posted in my other thread. They are currently in the deep part of the pond. I'll move them to shallower water.

Thanks!

Lew

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Down here both of mine have a dozen pads each on the surface they are in 2' deep water

Sweet Lew

Pond Noob
Reaction score
Well, I'm hoping they didn't freeze over the winter. Just peeped again and I can't see any growth. Granted, we haven't had too warm of weather here. However, today is 85 degrees but the nights dip into the 40s and 30s next week. :(

Reaction score
I put mine in about a foot of water and the leaves have just now begun to show themselves. LIke DrCase said, they know when to come up. Our weather has been wacky so far this spring.....may be close to freezing next week (lows)and had a high of 85 today. Last year mine did not hit the surface till the second week of may...

Reaction score
I just got one in the mail and all three of the pads broke off right above the tubor... i have it potted in the bog part of the pond, hope it recovers

Sweet Lew

Pond Noob
Reaction score
Hey Nigil!

My wife's best friend from childhood lives in Brownsburg! Small world in a small town.

Thanks everyone. I'll wait it out. Just want to get some shade on the water before the algae starts...

Reaction score
Sweet Lew - Mine have small leaves just a couple inches from the rhizome so far. Been like that for over a week. I am hoping that it is still too early around here for them to be reaching for the surface. I will practice my patience for a while longer.

Sweet Lew

Pond Noob
Reaction score
I might of saw a red lilly starting to makes it's way to the surface this morning. I wish I could throw some water lettuce on the surface, but we are getting hit with some cold weather starting tomorrow and I've read water lettuce needs warmer temps to survive. Stupid Mid West... LOL

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
I finally pulled all of mine from the pond due to the koi getting fat on them before they could grow. They have started to come up nicely here in Fla. in thr last month. They were a little slow due to the cooler weather we had this year. I have them in my 150 gallon stock tank for now but will build another pond for just lillies and some fancy goldfish. I have an extra liner from my first 1200 gallon pond which will be perfect. It will folw into the big pond but the koi will stay out.

Ask a Question