Lining my Galvanised stock tanks. Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

I have 2 galvanised stock tanks . 1x 100 gallon and 1x 30 gallon there is a bog filter in 30g flowing down to 100 gallon containing 5 small shubs. I had read that toxicity may not be an issue with gold fish but I'm suspecting mine are suffering as i pushed my luck a bit using brass fittings.

Ive bought some EPDM liner to line the inside but I'm wondering how to secure this to the top edge of my tanks without it looking horrible. Any tips at all?
Thanks
IMG_1555.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You could try making "clips" out of PVC pipe. Saw the plastic pipe into half-inch lengths. Then take the piece and cut through one side of it - making it into a kind of spring-loaded C-clip that would fit over the top edge of the tank. Not sure what size pipe you would need looking at the pictures, maybe inch and a half? Won't win any beauty contests, but might work...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you can glue liner to the tank in strips .I used wet guard on a tank I made for my sisters neighbor and it is still leak free and I did that years ago .But I saw on you tube where a guy glued liner to pieces of liner until tank inside was covered .The red guard was on cement board so may peel off metal .I can't find the video I saw but I know he cut it to each side and used pond seal tape to stick each piece to other other one

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I like @sissy 's idea - if you try to line it like you would a pond, you'll have lots of trouble getting it to lay flat on your corners.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the replies folks!. I lined it with EPDM and used a type of recycled plastic baton (nice grain texture)
I screwed these to pinch the liner to the tank (roofing screws with rubber washers) then tidied up with HA6 aquatic silicone.. looked good in the end although i started to have a few doubts mid process!
IMG_1823.jpg
IMG_1826.jpg
IMG_1822.jpg
IMG_1811.jpg
IMG_1823.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I also left an open hole in the stock tank near the bottom between liner and tank to drain any pesky water that gets between liner and tank (via the screw holes)

Ask a Question