j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'm gonna love watching you build this step by step new pond and stream for sure. Lot's of hard work but well worth the effort when it's all done............well it's never really all done.......it's always getting tweaked here and there w/ new ideas :LOL:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
thats why it's an addiction and we all need an intervention jw .we are never done always changing this or that .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I've been making some progress on digging this week! The hole is down at least 18" now, and I've managed to clear away most of the roots, but I still have a rather major root right in the middle of everything. I'm going to start whittling back on it, but as large as this one is, I'm trying not to take out too much of what's going straight down. Just don't want to disturb my tree too badly.

It's really hard to get a sense of depth from these pictures, but the area on the left is about 8" deep, and the bottom of the hole is around 18". And of course wouldn't you know it... yet another sprinkler line running through an area with no sprinklers, for no apparent reason. At least it runs along my shelf, so there's no reason to try and move it.
IMG_5667.JPG

The perspective also changes dramatically between these shots, so overall size is hard to judge. The width of the hole in front of the bricks is about 30 inches. This view shows a little more of how large that center root is. If I can clear out a little more of it, I will have ample room for both filters to sit in the bottom of the hole. The bottom of this picture will be the mouth of the river, which I am leaving shallow for a small area to create a mini-bog of sorts. I will have lots of marginals planted in this area, and the head of the river, to prevent the larger fish from swimming down-stream, giving the baby fish a safe haven.
IMG_5668.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
OK one more picture from this morning. Good shadows right now, really helps show the details, and I'm pretty much finished smoothing things out. I need to get a piece of heavy carpet to go over those roots, then I might drop in a liner and fill it up to see where I need leveling...
IMG_5671.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow those are some big roots but it prolly won't hurt your tree cuz there are a lot more roots under there going in other directions for sure. It's neat to be able to watch you step by step building it
gardening-14.gif

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
guess what people I am buying another house that has a huge pond on 11.23 acres in pittsville VA I just made my offer today for 24 thousand so will know in 24 hours .I will be renting the house out to friends .sorry shdwdrgn you are getting there dig faster and why would there be sprinkler line there could they have had a head there but closed it off

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Very cool sissy and I hope ya get it. 24,000. dollars is all that you will have to pay if you get it? Wow is that ever a good price! If so post pictures :lol:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
wait It is just a 2008 single wide

Attachments

• pond x wade road house 087.jpg
    pond x wade road house 087.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 317
  • pond x wade road house 054.jpg
    pond x wade road house 054.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 276
  • pond x wade road house 009.jpg
    pond x wade road house 009.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 302
  • pond x wade road house 063.jpg
    pond x wade road house 063.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 253

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I bought it for the property and will be renting it for 350 dollars a month

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
wow thats some root you have to deal with shd good luck as a root like that your going to need it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
The sprinklers are set up with the heads all around the outside of the yard, so there are no heads through the middle of the yard. And yet somehow, no matter where I dig, I always seem to run into another line. When I put in the original pond, I ran into a sprinkler line that was completely unused. Ended up just cutting it off to get it out of the way, as I have no idea where it was coming from (but a good idea of where it went).

Oh, and I had an idea I'm going to try implementing! Since that sprinkler line is there anyway, why not use it (the new one that is actually used)? I'm going to try and find a float-valve to hook up so that when the sprinklers are running, it will automatically top off the water in my pond. What do you think?

As for those roots, I plan on leaving that mass in place. It will be less shock for the tree that way. The top of the root cluster will be up under the flagstone cave, so I think once the rubber liner is draped over everything, it will be nearly invisible. My main concern was clearing enough space at the bottom of the pond for both pumps to sit. I have that space now, so there is no practical reason to remove any more root. Most likely, once I get the carpet and liner into the hole, I will back-fill a bit around that root to smooth out the wall of the hole.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My arizona yard had sprinklers going everywhere. I traced back the lines, (just by turning them on and off) made one into an auto fill for the pond. Three into hose bibs out in the yard (1 acre yard) the rest converted to drip systems. Sure made the yard a lot more functional Get a good float valve like for a farm tank, the cheaper ones can cause you issues. They are not that expensive.

I have one something like this

http://www.petvetsupply.com/gensym-9.html

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That's cool sissy. It looks like a nice clean pretty place. You sure got a good deal I'm thinking. You couldn't touch anything here for that price :confused:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
around here there are houses for as little as 10 thousand on an acre or 2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads