j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Getting on the next bus to Va..................oh wait I'm not really fond of the poisonous snakes and bugs or the really hot summers :yikesu:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Well that was handy... My nearby flooring store, who installed the new hardwood in my kitchen, still recognizes me. Walked in and was given free reign of their dumpster!

So, carpet was laid in the small pond today, got a nice heavy padding against the tree roots. Dropped the liner in the hole, and filled it up. Then I grabbed the filter barrel I've been running, and rolled it over onto the liner and got it fired up. I figure with all the waste that was in the bottom of the filter (and subsequently stirred up and blasted into the new pond), it shouldn't take much to actually seed this pond and have it ready to drop fish in.

I'm guessing this little pond is only about 75 gallon, but its big enough to server its purpose (letting babies grow bigger). I didn't get any pictures because it was still pretty murky, but should be fairly cleared up by tomorrow.

I've been digging trenches this week... First to provide a channel for filling the pond from the gutters, and second, laying in the electrical. As usual, I'm finding sprinkler lines right where I'm trying to dig (I literally put my line down right on top of where two sprinkler pipes are running), and I managed to cut half way through the control wires for the sprinklers. Ah how I love repairs. Guess I'll have to open up the water lines and make sure I didn't put any holes in the sprinkler pipes before I fill the trenches back in. There's gonna be a LOT of re-seeding the grass this year.

OK, so a couple pictures of my pipe from the gutters...
IMG_5672.JPG

This one shows the funnel to capture the water. I will be cutting the top off at an angle and put a screen over it so that any leaves and larger stuff washed off the roof will be dropped into the yard, leaving me was fairly clear water coming into the pond.
IMG_5674.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I hope if you have an asphalt roof you have considered filtering more as the oil from that kind of roofing leech off it and also the granules can be very fine

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
anyone need a great smaller filter tank check out lowes or home depots sump pump vaults less than 30 dollars here

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I'm not actually sure what kind if shingles I have, but I've never seen any kind of residue where the run-off puddles in the yard. This particular downspout runs out into the middle of the yard, and just sits there. It has nowhere to run off to, so it's always just soaked into the ground.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you are going to have fish maybe to make sure you could put the water coming out of that set up into a filter before it enters the pond .You could bury that filter and then just let it go from the filter to the pond .In the summer is when it seems to happen as asphalt shingles heat up from the sun they release some of the oil that is used to adhere the granules and to put a small filter tank there is easy as you could just put a small filter there where it comes out of the spout and dig it into the ground and then just come off of it to your pond .I do not know how old your roof is but remember 1 time you may redo the roof .Metal roofs are better and so are the new recycled roofs for best water runoff quality .Not that you should spend the money out .The reason being is that I have my gutters going to underground tanks to use the water with a pump to water my gardens and I can take the cap off and see the oil slick in my tanks and I have had to empty tanks to clean the sludge from the bottom of them with a shop vac .It smells just like my roof and oil and has granules in it .This house is only 6 years old and had to clean tanks 2 times .I paid for good shingles on the roof .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
OK, the water is crystal clear this morning, but the sun still isn't high enough to really see down into the pond. In the meantime, here's a shot of the layout...
IMG_5675.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Good, it is starting to look like a pond now and for sure you are hooked for life. Something about water that attracts us like rats to cheese :regular_waving_emot

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Oh this is my second pond... I already have a two-tiered pond made from the plastic liners. I've been hooked for a long time:lol:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Guess if I would have read the small print underneath and paid attention I would have known that already. One pond is enough for me at a time but to me it is fairly good sized and keeps me busy and I do enjoy it so much :yikesu:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
HaHa sissy I have a pair of reading glasses in every room in my house and some rooms I have more than one :yikesu:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraggle

Latest Threads