Mixing breeds of fish

Reaction score
I have a 15' x 30' flow thru pond with avg. depth of 4'. I have 9 rainbow trout avg. size 16". Would 6" koi be compatible in this environment ?

Thanks

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
As for the water, Yes both can live in the same water condition, as for getting along, I doubt there would be that much aggression between the two. Feeding could even be done but you would need to find something that is both beneficial to the trout and the koi. My biggest concern would be disease control. MANY medications for koi could not be used for koi. Koi can carry some parasites and bacteria that trout have no natural protection against. Any and all the added oxygen you can give this system the better for the species your choosing. Both like high oxygen levels and the trout will even need it more than the koi during the warmest part of the year, Cold just make sure to have a breather hole in the ice and both can survive.

Reaction score
If you dont mind me asking where did you get the rainbow trout? I'd love to try and get some of those in my pond. Right now I have sun fish and gold fish in together everything seems to be going ok.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
koi do get really big and guessing trout do also ,so filtering may become a real headache

Reaction score
In2deep......I bought them at Tellico Trout Farm just north of Franklin, NC. They are a commercial trout farm but will sell in small quantities if you pick them up. I bought 25 RB which were 12-13" at a price of $2.75 each. I think that was the largest they had. You get a lot of bang for the buck and some are now 20" in about 9 months.Trout are carnivores so I would not tempt them with small gold fish.

Reaction score
I wouldn't be so sure about the non aggressive thing. Years ago I set up a 100 gal aquarium and stocked it with some native species including rainbow trout. The objective was to set the aquarium up to simulate a natural flowing river with a current flowing across the front of the aquarium. Even built a water cooling device that cooled the water to simulate the naturally cooler waters we have locally. The trout did great, in fact they did so well they dominated the aquarium, keeping all the other species in constant fear and hiding.
In a larger environment the trout might be more tolerant of other species of fish, but it was clear from that little experiment that they are territorial and given limited space they will harass other fish, not for food, but to establish a pecking order and defend their limited territory.
That's just my experience anyway.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
firewelcome.gif
Andy

Ask a Question