addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I tried them once, they did lousy so not worth it to me. I prefer something I don't have to fuss over.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Addy, I think you and I have too much sun for water lettuce and water hyacinths. At first I thought it was my water, but thinking more and more it is the amount of sunshine that they cannot handle. Oh well, we have the advantage of other plants that love the sunshine. :)

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hmmm I'm going to give them a shot again this year but I'm also in full sun. They did fine but it was late in the season so we'll see. The one WH that came back this spring is doing good so far.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I tried them in my goldfish only pond, and in both ponds in a netted floating area, so no way the fish could get to the roots. The roots were still intact, just turned white (or where they white and they turned black???), and started rotting away. I think full sun is a killer for the floaters. That's my thought, not positive about that.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Well I get part sun now and still they don't grow very much for me either. It could be a combination of reasons, koi nibble too much roots and then hot dry winds dry the floaters faster than the shortened roots replenish plant. Hot dry Wind all day long in hot brutal sun can be too much as well.
Then my reason floaters don't seem to multiply for me is combination cooler water and roots nibbled away too much as well.
I do remember long ago back in 1991 to about 1994 they really grew well. Back then trees were very small and I had way more sun, but protected from hot dry wind's down in the valley. They grew out of contol and bloomed like crazy back then, and roots went to bottom of that pond, which was foot and half deep. Now roots are very short, water way cooler these days cause ponds in much less sun and fish eat everything in sight.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Haha! So i drove by the garden center I buy pond stuff from today and decided to get one each water hyacinth and water lettuce. Also looked at the select butterfly koi. For some reason I have been thinking i should get one......
The man working there feels wl do better in part sun and shade and wh like full sun.I think that sounds right. Anyway they are in the pond now, but look kinda lonely!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Keep track of what day you put them in there, Keith ... well we all will with your last post. Then, in another week or two, let us know how they are doing, and if they have multiplied yet!

Ask a Question