new guy, new pond, new fish fanatic!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for all the comments everyone. I will post some pics of the fish soon.

Hi Dave. Great comments, thanks. I agree with what you are saying. I do plan to add another pump and a bog filter of sorts along with that. I forgot to mention that my pump does have a built in uv bulb. I do have to budget my finances and what i have done so far is about all i could dumb into the pond at the time. Ill have another chunk to spend come Spring. I wonder how much i really need the air pump? With the turtle spitting water, the trickle tower dumping back into the pond, the home depot style canister filter dumping back into the pond and the water that shoots to the top out of the fitting near the bottom there is a ton of water movement and bubbles being made.

Yes those UV-C's are great at what they do in keeping the pond clear of algae you need to replace them once a year unless like ourselves you have a new generation UV'C with twin bulbs.
These they recomend you change every two years , we love them because the bottom swivles making them great to put in a tight space.
They ae made by AquaPond and do up to twice the gallonage we have at ,1000 imperial (UK messurements).

rgrds

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you can grow rooted plants in those also that vine over and hang down and domestic koi get large also as mine are now over 2 feet long and are about 9 years old .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice clear water! I had a whiskey barrel made into a filter once. Liked the way it looked.

Reaction score
Thank you both! The whiskey barrel is actually a rain barrel from Home Depot. I do plan to use river rock to cover the rest of the exposed dirt. But before that happens I am going to remove a chunk of the pond shelf so my fish will have more gallons of water. This happens next week. Have to move the flagstone, suck out water, move fish and start digging.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Well that will be more hard work, but I am sure it will look even bigger and better when you are done! I have changed my ponds too many times over the last 22 years, and I still am not done, now I want to make the top pond even bigger as the big KOI have really grown over the years, but that won't happen till fall or next spring, cause I got other projects that I am working on. Garden work never ends.... :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Great photos, and your fish will love you for more swimming space. Yep, I'm still planning and scheming, changing and redoing, but loving every minute of it. I see lots of ideas on here. My sister is moving to WI, and wants me to "design" her next pond. I think all she really wants is for me to tell her how the plumbing should be done. LOL Enjoy your fish and your "rebuild". All for the fun of ponding. :banana:

Ask a Question