• Total voters

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome, and yes, I agree that's a fantastic pond for a 15 y/o to build! You did a great job and you seem to know what's going on with it -- keep up the good work!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. I too have been fighting the same algea. I do have a pond vac but have not been using it much. I was afraid to suck up my babie fish!
But they are bigger now so vacuming is on my list for the weekend. Oh and nice looking pond you have.

Reaction score
You've done a great job, it's a lovely pond. In your filter.... Is there room to put cotton batting? I use this to remove muck and tannin colored water from the pond in the spring. It removes the single cell algae wonderfully. Just place it wher the water can flow through it on its way back to the pond, first 24 hours you'll see a huge difference. The carpet algae on the surfaces I don't worry about because my fish eat it and do a pretty good job of keeping it "mowed" lol
Welcome to our forum Ashburn, looking forward to learning more about your pond :)

Reaction score
You've done a great job, it's a lovely pond. In your filter.... Is there room to put cotton batting? I use this to remove muck and tannin colored water from the pond in the spring. It removes the single cell algae wonderfully. Just place it wher the water can flow through it on its way back to the pond, first 24 hours you'll see a huge difference. The carpet algae on the surfaces I don't worry about because my fish eat it and do a pretty good job of keeping it "mowed" lol
Welcome to our forum Ashburn, looking forward to learning more about your pond :)

Hello, yeah I have got some cotton batting in, that stopped the carpet weed problem and it works perfectly. Every evening and morning the water clears up, but as soon as it hits midday to afternoon this stuff comes out of nowhere.
So I am going to make or buy an air pump within the next week to make sure all these particles are getting to the filter.
The filter consists of stones and gravel at the bottom, any old sponges stuff like that, filter sponges, a sprinkler at the top, cotton bating and then cut up old pieces of filter sponge this is all being swirled in an anti clockwise motion from the bottom upwards except the sprinkler. Thats why I am frustrated on this temporary problem. :(
Thanks,
Ashburn :)

Reaction score
Hmmm. Ok, you say that batting is in there, but am i right in saying you don't remove it as it gets soiled? If not I'd try doing that. And along with making sure that your getting water flow to all areas of the pond should mix that stuff up and remove it what ever it is. It does seems a pain to change the batting alot, but it will remove the small particles very well. Good luck to you

Ask a Question