Newbie - Aquablox / Waterfall Well / Pump Vault?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Most waterfalls seem to have at least a couple of levels / falls, meaning that there would have to be small “ponds” or stands of water above each of those then as a result, right? But one doesn’t want any amount of standing water after the pump is turned off, so how do you ensure that these small pools drain? Or is the accumulation just not worth worrying about?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
John adams in the video above is a knowledgeable pond builder who shares some of the more intricate pond building tips. The pools your asking about i would not worry about if they drain out or not BUT you need to take into consideration if they were to drain you need to have a large enough storage area to except that volume of water. IMO not having pooling areas in a stream or in a waterfall is a must it's an area where water current can be watched as the bubbles make there way down the stream or over the next area of the water fall. One of the tricks the pros use it to just run the liner build the pooling areas and then install some spray foam and place another piece of rubber outlining the pool and spray foam that as well along the edges it will not be water proof but it will divert the majority of the water to where you wat it . you tube you tube and more you tube to see and get tips for your build

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
But one doesn’t want any amount of standing water after the pump is turned off, so how do you ensure that these small pools drain?

I think standing water would only be a problem if it was standing for a week or so, allowing mosquitoes to hatch.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Thanks a lot everyone for your replies. Much appreciated!

This image here on this page sort of confused me: https://pondsonline.ca/savio-8-ft-pondfree-waterfall-package.html

View attachment 139372

It seems to show just a "pump vault" (aka waterfall well) surrounded by some loose rock.
In that drawing the pump looks surrounded by gravel.
I'm no expert in pondless water features, but I don't think you want your pump encased in gravel. You need to be able to pull the pump if you need to service or replace it.

Ask a Question