Newts

Reaction score
Made a day trip out to a nearby mountain lake to look for spotted turtles and noticed that newts were everywhere in the shallows. Was ill equipped to catch'm but was able to fish out 3 by hand. (two were mating and oblivious to my approach)

No turtles anywhere...:bowdown:

Road home (on the motorcycle) Newts in a plastic water bottle.

Put them in the pond and they seem to love it:icon_smile:

Reaction score
My turtles have slowed down for the winter already. Depending on were you are based some may have already started their hibernation. My three that are housed in an aquarium sleep almost all day now. The female isn't eating any longer and the two males only once in the last two weeks.

Try again in the spring.

Turtleman

Reaction score
Turtleman said:
My turtles have slowed down for the winter already. Depending on were you are based some may have already started their hibernation. My three that are housed in an aquarium sleep almost all day now. The female isn't eating any longer and the two males only once in the last two weeks.

Try again in the spring.

Turtleman

Yesterday, came across 3 snakes recently killed on the road. So, they seem to be still active. One was only 50 feet from my driveway-a garter snake i think.

Haven't seen a turtle though for some time now. Guess i'll just need to wait for Spring...

How do you help your turtles manage their hibernation?:goldfish:

The newts seem to be doing fine.

Reaction score
Got 10 more newts yesterday and put them in the 55 tank, but they didn't like it at all! One climbed out and was walking across the carpet. :eek2:

Put them all in the pond last night and just checked on them- 2 were actively feeding so they seem fine in the cold water. Amphibians seem to care less about temp changes unlike fish.:icon_smile:

Reaction score
Have seen 2 newts so far this year. Hoping that many survived the winter and will breed. The 2 i've seen looked very healthy.

Ask a Question