How to control Western Red Newts

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,
I have a huge problem with western red newts clogging my pump. I was thinking of trying a vortex tank as a prefilter so I can scoop them up before they clog my pump. Besides, I hate having them killed daily in the pre filter box. I figure the vortex will keep them in the center so that I can scoop them out each day. I would basically be using gravity feed (Siphoning) from the pond to the buried vortex tank. A few questions:
1) How do I determine the GPH of my pump (it is an external pump that was given to me)
2) How do I determine the correct size vortex/settlement tank to use?
3) Does this sound like a reasonable solution, and if not do you have any other thoughts on solving this problem? (Note that this salamander is highly toxic, so preditor control will not work)
Any comments would greatly be appreciated.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
If you know the pump manufacturer and model number, GPH can be found online at the manufacturer's web page.
Vortex chambers are sized by pump flow rate.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a MagneTek Century 1/4HP pump, but I could not find any information on the Internet. I could find a part and serial number but no model number.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have a MagneTek Century 1/4HP pump, but I could not find any information on the Internet. I could find a part and serial number but no model number.
There should be another label on the pump body. MagnaTek only manufactures the motor. Need the pump assembly manufacturer and model number.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Apparently the pump is manufactured by MultiDuty Manufacturing which offers pumps under the brand names Sequence, Value Flo and Genisys, etc. The only way that this pump could possibly be identified through serial number only would be by the manufacturer. The contact info for MultiDuty is here:
http://www.mdminc.com/Contact Us.aspx

Reaction score
Country
United States
Meyer, first of all thank you so much for all your help. I feel sort of overwhelmed by the whole problem. My pond has been shut down for years because I just gave up. I am going to remove the pump tonight and see if there is any information I have overlooked. I rarely throw out paperwork, so I will look through my files tonight too. I will get back to you on what I found.

Ask a Question