Nooooooo! Billions of eggs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Dealt with the algae problem! Lowered the phosphate levels. Had the bog cleaned and a foot of gravel removed. Planted in the clean bog. Got rid of six fingerlings. Have a place that will take the remaining nine after they have changed color. Water chemistry great. Yay! AOK! But no! Discovered fish frenzy this morning. Skimmer basket and filters COVERED with fish eggs. New plantings covered with fish eggs. Eggs by the tablespoonfuls in many locations. The fish are eating some with gusto. But, given that we had fry last year, some will escape them. HELP!! How do I get rid of all these eggs?
F022E654-EC68-428F-9CC0-7A2F4898ECE2.jpeg6E551F1F-0B69-4751-9505-0B901F903185.jpeg34BC2E99-E14D-43C7-915F-1C4F635CAE32.jpeg

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Don't feed the fish! I have the same problem with both ponds. Fry have hatched in one pond already. Both ponds overstocked before so now I really have issues. It seems like as soon as you remove some fish, spawn!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I've thought about hanging cotton mops in the pond in hopes koi will spawn on them, the I can remove them from the pond......but it seems I never get around to actually doing it !

Each Sept. I lower the pond water and catch all surviving fry and either give them away, or take to a nursery that lets me put them in their pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use spawning mops, homemade from yarn. The fish seem to really like using them. I have goldfish and they seem to be constantly spawning, 4 days in a row as of today. I leave the mops in for 2 or 3 days and let the fish eat as many eggs as they will. I try not to feed them on the days they spawn. Then I swap those used mops for dry mops and let the first mops dry out. It's a pretty constant thing in summer around here and I'm glad to see the end of it. If I had my wish, I would have separate ponds for males and females.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Koi - 11 large (14-18"), 3 medium (8 -12"); Goldfish - 6, less than 6", including 3 to be rehomed; 9 black fingerlings, waiting for new owner.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I use spawning mops, homemade from yarn. The fish seem to really like using them. I have goldfish and they seem to be constantly spawning, 4 days in a row as of today. I leave the mops in for 2 or 3 days and let the fish eat as many eggs as they will. I try not to feed them on the days they spawn. Then I swap those used mops for dry mops and let the first mops dry out. It's a pretty constant thing in summer around here and I'm glad to see the end of it. If I had my wish, I would have separate ponds for males and females.
That seems like good idea. I've scooped out a lot of white stuff with big bubbles. The mops would pick up that icky stuff. After all of these years (15), I've never experienced this situation. Have you instructions for how to make one of your spawning mops?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I am sorry, since you seem to be a little unhappy about it, but your post made me laugh.

I don't have koi, but I do have goldfish and when I saw the fry last year, I couldn't help but feel for them and decided to save them (even though I knew I already have enough fish)! If I had seen the eggs, I might have been able to get rid of some of them the way you want to.

My solution this year is to keep the males and females in separate ponds. Much easier to do with goldfish than koi, no doubt. If only someone would invent a birth control water additive for fish...

Good luck!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just don't feed my fish all summer, very few fry make it. Still have plenty of water room for them. I watch them on the cam go into a feeding frenzy when eggs are dropped.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I found instructions online for making the mops. There are youtube videos as well. It's very simple. You just need some yarn and a large hardcover book.

I tie the mops to a long piece of parachute cord, two mops spaced some distance apart on each cord. I tie the cord across the pond so the mops hang down in the water. I keep 4 mops in the pond at all times since I have so many fish. They work well for goldfish. I don't have koi so I don't know how well they would take to using them.

I know you can buy spawning brushes for koi and I know several people who use those for raising their fry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I found instructions online for making the mops. There are youtube videos as well. It's very simple. You just need some yarn and a large hardcover book.

I tie the mops to a long piece of parachute cord, two mops spaced some distance apart on each cord. I tie the cord across the pond so the mops hang down in the water. I keep 4 mops in the pond at all times since I have so many fish. They work well for goldfish. I don't have koi so I don't know how well they would take to using them.

I know you can buy spawning brushes for koi and I know several people who use those for raising their fry.
Do you have any pictures of this set up ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cisifom

Latest Threads