Ok, NOW WHAT DO I DO?

Reaction score
I am not a fan of fishless cycling, although I know it is very fashionable. I did it once for a quarantine aquarium for some new fish and will NEVER do it again. On the other hand, I would strongly discourage you from getting some fish that aren't what you really want to cycle your pond. Those goldfish are going to live and grow and take up pond capacity that you may want for koi.

If you want some goldfish in your pond, pick out two or three you really like and put them in the pond. After three weeks, add another fish (it can be a baby koi), and repeat this process until you can persuade yourself to stop. (The fewer fish the easier it is to keep the pond healthy.) Neither you nor the fish will be stressed by, or even aware of, the cycling process. Building your herd slowly will also make it more likely that you will be happy with your fish.

All I do to quarantine plants is rinse and (re)pot them then put them in a tub for two or three weeks, before re-rinsing them and adding them to the pond. If I know they came from a healthy pond, I don't bother quarantining. (Yes, I could get into trouble.) If you want to be more careful and use a disinfectant, that's fine. Do be aware that some plants will be killed by bleach, (don't know about pp). Both of these agents wash out easily, and neither is a surfactant.

I wouldn't use a medicated food for a fish that wasn't sick.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Fishless cycling is completely safe as long as proper attention is being paid to the ammonia, nitrite, and KH test kits. The ammonia feeding should continue until 24 hours prior to introducing your fish since, once ammonia feeding stops, the bacteria starts to go into hibernation. Not for sure what could have happened that would suggest you to not do a fishless cycle again, unless something was overlooked by using the wrong ammonia or such as waiting too long to introduce the fish or putting fish in the water while there was a presence of ammonia or nitrite.

GreatDanesDad

Electro-Mechanical Engineer
Reaction score
9) I am a complete newb when it comes to concrete and construction. So, a couple questions for ya about your pond build...

Did you consider using backing board to help stabilize your flagstone?? What did you use, mortar or concrete or some other mix?? Any advice or helpful tips??

The flagstone was an after thought as I explained. I built a fully functioning pond and after I decided I hated the black walls. I thought it looked "amature". So i bought flagstone and motor and jumped in not having a clue. I used the mortor to level the bottom out and give me a good grade, because I found some low spots in my river, I then placed flagstone into the leveled/graded mortor. After that dried, I placed stones against the walls and found a that behind the larger stones there was empty space, so I filled all that space with mortor. The next steps were the hardest because when the mortor is wet it doesnt stand against the walls like I wanted it to to fill the areas between the stones. This took lots of guess and check mixing in less water and then keeping a spray bottle to keep it moist to avoid cracking. I failed at this in many places, but wasnt worried because I still have the liner behind to make it water tight. After I completed the mortor, i let it sit for 3 days then added water. It was full of "mortor dust" as I was told it would be by a pond friend at Ace hardware. I ran the pump without filter for a week and the water was just thick with the powder. I then completely drained and refilled the pond. This time I ran it through the filter. After a week the water was crystal clear. I cleaned bucket loads of "powder" out of the foam in the filters, but it came out real easy with the hose. So happy my filter is easy to access to clean.

Reaction score
crsublette said:
Fishless cycling is completely safe as long as proper attention is being paid to the ammonia, nitrite, and KH test kits. The ammonia feeding should continue until 24 hours prior to introducing your fish since, once ammonia feeding stops, the bacteria starts to go into hibernation. Not for sure what could have happened that would suggest you to not do a fishless cycle again, unless something was overlooked by using the wrong ammonia or such as waiting too long to introduce the fish or putting fish in the water while there was a presence of ammonia or nitrite.
It is safe, if you continue to test after you put fish in. For whatever reason, in real life, as opposed to "in principle", cycle bumps are very common after adding fish. Usually you get nitrite, and those NOBs take a while to grow.

Likewise, it takes a long time -- at least in aquariums. I think that is because the nitrifiers can be inhibited by excess ammonia. I have noticed that many of the newer instructions for fishless cycling include lowering the ammonia concentration as soon as nitrites appear, which might help, but on aquarium forums I still see complaints about fishless cycling still incomplete into the third, fourth and even the fifth month.

Unless you already have stock in a holding tank and want to dump them into the pond all at once, fishless cycling of a pond makes no sense to me. All of the genera, species, and strains of ammonifying bacteria, AOBs (ammonia oxidizing bacteria), AOAs (ammonia oxidizing archaea), and NOBs (nitrite oxidizing bacteria) that will do well in your pond are coming into the water with the soil that always gets in there. So if you put a couple of small fish in a new pond, they produce a small amount of exactly the same waste as more and/or larger fish will produce, and this will feed exactly the microbes that are most efficient at using that waste in your pond conditions. As long as you add fish gradually, there is no reason to see measurable amounts of ammonia or nitrite during the process, and you get to enjoy your fish.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
shakaho said:
As long as you add fish gradually, there is no reason to see measurable amounts of ammonia or nitrite during the process, and you get to enjoy your fish.
Measurable ammounts of ammonia or nitrite will be shown once the bio-filter capacity is over come. Adding fish gradually does not circumvent this fact. The fact is the bio-filtration capabilities of a pond's ecosystem is what determines how many fish that can first be introduced to a pond and determines the maximum capacity of what can thrive in a pond. Plants, algae, man-made bio-filters, and other stuff all add to a pond's bio-filtration capabilities.

I will concede that the "fishless" cycle approach is probably not the best approach for begginers, that view this hobby with a higher learning curve. Actually, I would go as far as to suggest that, if there is any hesitation or confusion at all about implementing the "fishless" cycle, then I would not recommend using it to establish your bio-filter.

shakaho said:
It is safe, if you continue to test after you put fish in. For whatever reason, in real life, as opposed to "in principle", cycle bumps are very common after adding fish. Usually you get nitrite, and those NOBs take a while to grow.
Water tests should always continue after fish are put in a pond regardless of the method used to start the pond's bio-filtration.

The "fishless" cycle is a very well understood approach. It works both in principle and in practice.

"Cycle bumps" occur whenever the bacteria colonies are inadequate or when weather or other contaminants sterilize the existing colonies. So, with the fishless cycling approach, a big enough colony was probably not allowed to grow to be sufficient for the fish stock density. I suppose this is the problem, that is all of the guessing, folk have with the fishless cycle approach.

shakaho said:
Likewise, it takes a long time -- at least in aquariums. I think that is because the nitrifiers can be inhibited by excess ammonia. I have noticed that many of the newer instructions for fishless cycling include lowering the ammonia concentration as soon as nitrites appear, which might help, but on aquarium forums I still see complaints about fishless cycling still incomplete into the third, fourth and even the fifth month.
First of all, if the cycle is still incomplete into the 3 through 5 month, then they were following bad instruction. I bet ya those aquarists that had issues with it did not dose the ammonia appropriately and did not receive nor followed good instruction.

The best instruction reference that I use is an article written by Roddy Conrad for Microbe-Lift. The article is from the 2009 spring/summer microbe-lift magazine. The PDF attached below is this column written by Mr. Conrad.

There can be too much or too little ammonia dosed. If you put too much, then you risk at harming and retarding the nitrite oxidizing bacteria. If you put too little, then you risk of growing a bacterial colony that is too small for a big fish stock density.

shakaho said:
Unless you already have stock in a holding tank and want to dump them into the pond all at once, fishless cycling of a pond makes no sense to me. All of the genera, species, and strains of ammonifying bacteria, AOBs (ammonia oxidizing bacteria), AOAs (ammonia oxidizing archaea), and NOBs (nitrite oxidizing bacteria) that will do well in your pond are coming into the water with the soil that always gets in there.
The problem when talking microbiology is that there is tremendous research done in the terresterial, soil based, environments and very little research in the freshwater aquatic arena. As far as I am aware, archaea are mostly understood in terrestrial environments and their role is still not well understood in freshwater.

shakaho said:
So if you put a couple of small fish in a new pond, they produce a small amount of exactly the same waste as more and/or larger fish will produce, and this will feed exactly the microbes that are most efficient at using that waste in your pond conditions.
I suppose the hesitation comes from the use of ammonium hydroxide to grow the pond's bio-filtration, but ammonium hydroxide comes from exactly the same chemical fish release into the water. Fish expel ammonia (NH3) from their gills and through the skin. This type of ammonia is toxic to fish. When this ammonia dissolves into water, then a percentage of it, according to water temperature and pH, instantly changes into ammonium (NH4+). Ammonium is not toxic to fish. For ammonium to be created, it must strip a hydrogen cation from water and this creates a hydroxide, which is an anion (OH-). Put it together and the solution created is ammonium hydroxide. An ionic law of chemistry is for ammonia and ammonium to maintain an equilibrium. So, when ammonium hydroxide is put into the water, a portion of this ammonium instanty changes back into ammonia, according to the water temperature and pH. Higher pH and warmer water will have higher levels of ammonia. If the pH gets too high or water too warm, then this will deter the growth of the bacteria colony.

Attachments

• Microbe-Lift with Roddy Conrad fishless cycle instructions.pdf
    942.8 KB · Views: 258

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Thanks! Yeah, I found two of those publications from a quick google search just a while ago, which weren't particularly helpful. I missed the one by the american society for microbiology, which looks to be quite interesting. After reading a few pages, the article from ASM is actually quite enlightening.

Notice how those studies mention that archaea is "recently discovered" in freshwater, which is not marine, and there are very few studies of the organism in freshwater aquaria. It appears the archaea are mostly dominant in extreme environments that do not support AOB too well, and AOA are also more dominant where ammonia levels are too low for the typical ammonia oxidizng bacteria to survive. It sounds like archaea thrive in that grey area between the chemoautotrophs, which are the AOBs we are trying to grow in our bio-filter, and the dimorphic faculative heterotrophs. Although, it sounds like much of the AOAs activity and contributions in the freshwater nitrification cycle is still unkown. So, I don't think archaea are particularly applicable to our context of starting a bio-filter in the freshwater pond hobby, but it might be more relevant to the bio-filtration in a coral reef tank.

We're getting a bit off topic, but, still, it is quite interesting and I appreciate the reference.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deanna

Latest Threads