Our StayCation

Reaction score
j.w.

I am very curious on the planter part of that, does it dip right down into the container? I could see myself adapting it down the road to have a plant that will dip into the top of the filter. Right now I just have a hole in the bottom covered in filter cloth in case it gets too much water.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Nope it just sits there. He didn't make that part, he just brought home a bunch of those round stainless bowls from when he worked at his last job that they were gonna toss out. I have a garden hose tucked into the back/top of it in the Summer w/ a timer set to give it well water each day. The excess just runs over the falls each day as I have it slightly tipped towards the pond. One could drill holes in one of those but on mine the bottom of the bowl isn't deep enough to reach the top of the water line in that container. That plant isn't in any soil or gravel, it loves it's feet in water it seems.
Here is a photo before my hubby built the weir:

IMG_4044.JPG

And after:

IMG_4102.JPG

Reaction score
That’s nice.
A planter like yours with a plant in it would work nice the same way in any part of a yard, or for someone wanting to dabble with water.

My very first play with water was tapping into my hose faucet and running a quarter inch line to the back of my yard and up a fence. I ran it into a copper pipe which angled off the fence and over a bird bath. I really back cut the end of it so about 6 or 8 inches near the end was like a open trough. I had it constantly drip slowly. The drops falling into the water looked pretty and the birds always had fresh water. It was a very slow drip, maybe one drop every 3 or 4 seconds, but enough to look nice and attract the birds. A lot of the small birds would drink the water of the end of the trough.

Wow. Now I want to make one, although if I do any more water projects before the house is renovated, I will be in big trouble.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Neat idea w/ the bird bath drip system. I may have to rig something like that up to my regular old bird bath as it always dries up so fast in the Summer. I could do that w/ the plant thing also on the top of that waterfall bowl too. Stay out of trouble EH and get busy on the renovation deal so you can finish that and get back to the important business of pondering pond/water stuff :razz:

Reaction score
It works great as long as you can get the drip right. I ended up putting a layer of rubber at the hose valve exit, with just a pin prick in it. That seemed to give me the slow consistent drip. It was nice having a birdbath that would refill on its own.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well at least you have those beautiful pictures to remember them by! It won't be too long before all your ice melts so hang in there
fishpond.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Noelia5838

Latest Threads