pea soup

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
This is my second year with my pond. Due to the unseasonal warm weather we have been having in March I was able to rebuild my pond. I already have algae growing in my pond that I just built. The only thing that is being reused from my old pond is my skippy. I didn't have any problems at all with algae last year but I also didn't have it built until May and had plants in it right away. Will my algae problem go away once I get some pond plants in it or will I need some chemicals to help? And is it because it has been in the mid 70's for pretty much all of March and we really didn't have a winter to kill things off. Just want some advice on what to do before it gets bad..

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That happens and the filter needs a bio load to work .Use quilt batting to pick up the fine stuff in the water fall in a laundry basket or something to pick up the fine stuff ,The plant will take over and eat it up .I soak the guilt batting in peroxide and even put solar salt in it and use 2 pices of quilt batting while I'm soaking one I use the other .I hose the quilt batting off real good before soaking it .Get the heavy stuff off and then soak it .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
When I rebuilt my pond last year, I made sure the new filters were established on the old pond. Despite this, the new pond was pea-soup about a month after filling it. I seem to remember something similar happening with my first pond. I think it's just a first-year thing... everything in the pond has to reach a balance, and before that happens, the algae is happy to take over everything. This year I've had string-algae growing since January, but the water itself is not yet turning green. I'm hoping for the best, but I've already started adding bacterial supplements to try and get ahead of the worst.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So far no small cell algae, or string algae. We just got back the lilies are really popping up

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Welcome back addy and glad your lilies are growing and no algae! I don't have any either but then our weather is still pretty chilly here w/ not much sunshine. I've got a pot set up w/ the batting in it to collect the fines going and it's doing it's job. Fish are mulling about now and then.

Ask a Question