Pond Plant help

Ray

Reaction score
Well I am kinda being pushed into a planted pond this week, like tomorrow!
I have had my pond for about 7 years, it is about 10x4x 3.5 feet deep with a 3 tier waterfall on top and a 3000ish GPH pump, all I have used for filtration is a sponge type media at the top of the waterfall where the water enters. In the pond I have 2 Koi, 1 Shurbunkin and a 5 smaller comets. In the past I have kept a floating ring with a mesh netting and some type of plants my inlaws purchased at a local store that grew pretty fast and we just discarded in the fall.

SO with that said here is my problem.....
My inlaws decided they wanted some flowering plants for the pond that they could house in the garage in the winter in a small kiddie pool (heated garage kept around 50 deg) so my wife and them decided to go ahead and order a bunch of things from an online retailer based just on looks :wink:
Now I have them arriving tomorrow and do not know what I need for them as in water flow, depth, sun fertilizer and such. Now I have done a little reading the past couple of days and have a few ideas but would rather hear from more experienced people what I should do!

Here is a list of what I have arriving
Water Hyacinth
Water Lettuce
Parrot's Feather
Chrysantha
Black Gamecock
Variegated Sweetflag
Black Magic Taro
Violet-Stemmed Taro
Red Endeavor Canna

Now the pond has no shelves but I am pretty handy and was thiking of adding a larger/deeper floating net for them or adding a small bog area off of the pond if that would be better or redoing the waterfall area and planting them up top. I was worried that the fish would eat them if I plant them right in the main pond.

Any tips or advice on what I should do would be great!

Thanks

Reaction score
Ray said:
Well I am kinda being pushed into a planted pond this week, like tomorrow!
I have had my pond for about 7 years, it is about 10x4x 3.5 feet deep with a 3 tier waterfall on top and a 3000ish GPH pump, all I have used for filtration is a sponge type media at the top of the waterfall where the water enters. In the pond I have 2 Koi, 1 Shurbunkin and a 5 smaller comets. In the past I have kept a floating ring with a mesh netting and some type of plants my inlaws purchased at a local store that grew pretty fast and we just discarded in the fall.

SO with that said here is my problem.....
My inlaws decided they wanted some flowering plants for the pond that they could house in the garage in the winter in a small kiddie pool (heated garage kept around 50 deg) so my wife and them decided to go ahead and order a bunch of things from an online retailer based just on looks :bowdown:
Now I have them arriving tomorrow and do not know what I need for them as in water flow, depth, sun fertilizer and such. Now I have done a little reading the past couple of days and have a few ideas but would rather hear from more experienced people what I should do!

Here is a list of what I have arriving
Water Hyacinth I keep my hyacinth in the top part of the pond and I just buy two pieces when it gets warmer and they grow prolifically. I wouldn't overwinter those. They are cheap. About $2.50 per plant at home depot and 2 pieces have turned into about 50 in a matter of three weeks. Same with the water lettuce.
Water Lettuce
Parrot's Feather The parrot feather just kindof floats in the water but the Koi do love to eat on it so if you want to keep it, I would recommend a netting like you described.
Chrysantha ?
Black Gamecock ?
Variegated Sweetflag ?
Black Magic Taro I think they consider thisa bog plant but we have ours on the first shelf in the pond. i think it would grow bigger in more of a bog setting
Violet-Stemmed Taro ?
Red Endeavor Canna We have our canna planted around the pond and not in it but if I have to guess, I would say it would perform better in a bog setting.

Now the pond has no shelves but I am pretty handy and was thiking of adding a larger/deeper floating net for them or adding a small bog area off of the pond if that would be better or redoing the waterfall area and planting them up top. I was worried that the fish would eat them if I plant them right in the main pond.

Any tips or advice on what I should do would be great!

Thanks
The fish do like to eat plants. If you keep them fed and give them a variated diet, they won't do it too much. Check out the link at the bottom of my post for pics of our pond.
Happy Ponding! Melissa

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I take my parrots feather and anchor it with a rock or something. Likewaise for any rooted plant.
Let the Koi eat what they want, they will love you for it.

Ask a Question