Potassium permanganate advice/suggestions

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I need to dose my pond with PP. I just received some that I ordered online and read the directions. Quite frankly, this chemical scares me, and I've never used it before. So I was wondering if anyone out there has used this to treat their pond and can offer any advice and/or suggestions. The directions did state to ensure that your pond is free of most organics, so I did a clean out and water change yesterday. However, now I have to wait at least 3 days to dose because I used dechlorinator and hydrogen peroxide when I cleaned the pond. Also, I know it shouldn't be run through the filter system, so I plan on shutting down the pond when I dose. If I put in an airstone during this time, will that be enough air for the fish? My pond is approximately 400 gallons with 10 goldfish. Thanks in advance for any help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Mix a measured quantity in a bucket of warm water then aeriate for 30 minutes to ensure the total solubility of the powder, then you can disperse evenly around the pond
Dont use it below 50f-10.c.
PP is a powerful oxidizer so add extra airstones around your pond and switch off your U/V-C for 24 hours.
You should also stop feeding your fish during the chemical treament then test all your perameters before you start feeding again.
Potasiu m, will discolour your water to a purple colour, then turn pink before going brown
When it turns brown the treatment has degraded if the water turns brown before the 24 hour period that they say , then you should do a water change of 25%
However it normally only requires one dose but you can repeat 7 and 14 days later if you require.
The maximum dosage use 6.8 grams par 1000 imperial gallons I dont know the US equivulent, so you'll have to work it out yourself but do not exeede maximum dose.
I hope this helps?
By the way we dont like treating a pond with PP it tends to scare even the hardiest fish keeper.

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I need to dose my pond with PP. I just received some that I ordered online and read the directions. Quite frankly, this chemical scares me, and I've never used it before. So I was wondering if anyone out there has used this to treat their pond and can offer any advice and/or suggestions. The directions did state to ensure that your pond is free of most organics, so I did a clean out and water change yesterday. However, now I have to wait at least 3 days to dose because I used dechlorinator and hydrogen peroxide when I cleaned the pond. Also, I know it shouldn't be run through the filter system, so I plan on shutting down the pond when I dose. If I put in an airstone during this time, will that be enough air for the fish? My pond is approximately 400 gallons with 10 goldfish. Thanks in advance for any help!
Weve both given you a clue how to use PP anitapond but what are you treating with it please it may be important and we may have another treatment you could possibly use if itscares you that much ?

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Hi, Dave! I'm pretty sure I'm dealing with a bacterial issue. No physical signs on the fish; it's their behavior. Did a scrape for parasites, and all is well under the microscope. Water parameters are fine (0 ammonia, ph 8.6, 0 nitrates, 0 nitrites). Had a fish that couldn't close its mouth for days, and she was hanging around by the waterfall, lethargic. Took her out and checked her mouth and throat for a rock or something - nothing. I could see all the way down. I gave her a salt dip, and the next day, her mouth was closed and she was swimming around. From what I've read, I think she had/has some type of ulcer inside her mouth. I have 3 other fish that are just "hanging" around at the surface. I've tried catching them, but since I caught the one, they are skittish. The only possible cure I could find on the internet was for bacterial infections was PP. Please don't suggest antibiotic injection - I couldn't do that. I've also been feeding them medicated food. By the way, I treated for gill flukes about 2 weeks ago.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
anitapond said:

My reply, that is post#22 in Took over existing pond, fighting algae for weeks now (portion of it quoted below), answers you and gives some good hyperlinks you should read and they are very instructional and informative about what to do, how to do it safely, what to look for, and how to properly react.

You good to wait after dosing the dechlorinator and hydrogen peroxide.

Supposedly, I am told by others that, if your bio-filtration system is mature enough, then you do not need to bypass, but, personally, I would still bypass it.

Yes, have good water circulation, supplemented by a strong air stone, to provide oxygen during this period.

Extremely important!! Use an accurate gram scale to measure this stuff.

Instead of hydrogen peroxide, you can use an extremely strong organic oxidizer such as Pottasium Permanganate, with an acronym of " PP ", which is safe to fish and plants if paying extremely close to gram measurements, extremely important to know your pond's gallons, and extremely important to follow instructions.

PP can be bought at The Chemistry Store by the pounds but, if fish are present, then we are talking dosage measurements in grams and TEAspoons. A digital scale is very important to use in measurements.

Here's a good demonstrational and instructional thread talking about its use in kill string algae. Life and Times of String Algae in My Pond. Plants are much more tolerant to PP so highers doses can be used if no fish are present.

Other interesting threads about proper PP usage and warnings:

PP question
PP dosage?
PP dosing calculations
Potassium Permanganate calculator

Personally, since I have not used it yet, I am still nervous about using the stuff, but it is a common practice. Just be careful with the stuff and do not use it if you are in any way not comfortable with what you're doing.

PP is extremely cheap and a little bit stretches out a very long time, but extreme attention and caution must be used when using it.

If you think it is going very wrong, then have the hydrogen peroxide ready to neutralize the PP reaction.

Just do not over react.

Hope this helps.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
anitapond said:
Hi, Dave! I'm pretty sure I'm dealing with a bacterial issue. No physical signs on the fish; it's their behavior. Did a scrape for parasites, and all is well under the microscope. Water parameters are fine (0 ammonia, ph 8.6, 0 nitrates, 0 nitrites). Had a fish that couldn't close its mouth for days, and she was hanging around by the waterfall, lethargic. Took her out and checked her mouth and throat for a rock or something - nothing. I could see all the way down. I gave her a salt dip, and the next day, her mouth was closed and she was swimming around. From what I've read, I think she had/has some type of ulcer inside her mouth. I have 3 other fish that are just "hanging" around at the surface. I've tried catching them, but since I caught the one, they are skittish. The only possible cure I could find on the internet was for bacterial infections was PP. Please don't suggest antibiotic injection - I couldn't do that. I've also been feeding them medicated food. By the way, I treated for gill flukes about 2 weeks ago.

Hmmm. Depending on the bacteria, not for sure if a PP treatment will help you. Bacteria can be incredibly tough to kill, even for an oxidizer. If you want to use an oxidizer, some bacteria actually require a much higher dose that might kill the fish. You might want to look into an anti-bacterial product, which I know nothing about these anti-bacterial products except I am told these can be expensive for full pond treatments.

To fight bacterial infections, short duration dips in a QT are typically done. This might be what you need, but, again, this is out of my depth. Although, if wrong, the problem could be made worse.

Beyond proper usage of PP, I do not know. I am not for sure if a PP treatment will help you in your specific situation.

Here's another thread that might be of help for you. Lists some products for particular bacteria treatments. Emergency Section Koi Health.

Hopefully someone here can help better address your problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Take a 3 gallon bucket of water from the pond, add a few snails, pond critters, practise a proportional measure of pp on it

If your maths are accurate, you will be able to test it without risking much of anything

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Wow I used the stuff in the old pond after a bacteria disease and it killed everything. I doubt anyliving thing was left including the bad bacteria. I took the fish out for treatment with another product.

Not helping much I know, but just my experience with it.

Ask a Question