POTM January 2018 Winner

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Congratulations to @brokensword for winning the January 2018 Photo of the Month! (y)

imgp6430-jpg.107141

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Great pic and a worthy winner!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks everyone; appreciated. Took this one when I didn't mind getting out in the snow as much. Looking at the thermometer, I don't expect I'll be taking any recent snow pics anytime soon!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I leave my pump on all winter. I was told to do this as the water would become very acidic if I switched it off! Was this correct?

Lizabeth Harris.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I leave my pump on all winter. I was told to do this as the water would become very acidic if I switched it off! Was this correct?

Lizabeth Harris.
actually no, that is incorrect. Acidity is caused by decaying organic matter or if your source water is already acidic. Over time, most ponds become more acidic for the above reason. Proper Kh and Gh numbers will keep the ph (ph is a measure of acid/base solutions) balanced, but you'd need to test your water first. The reason most keep their water/pump moving is to help alleviate the effect of ice on the surface and/or to keep a hole open. Many don't have any water movement at all (or, very little) but create the same effect with either aerators/deicers/or pond breathers. You have to be careful that if you have a waterfall, that it doesn't freeze and divert water out of your pond (in the winter).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
thanks, addy; sometimes you get insight as well as luck, you know? Now, I'll be shut out of February's contest as since my pond is enclosed, not a lot of visitors, you know? Heck, had to import both frogs and turtles just to up the inhabitant count!

Michael

Ask a Question