Country
Great pic and a worthy winner!

brokensword

Not all those who wander are lost
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Thanks everyone; appreciated. Took this one when I didn't mind getting out in the snow as much. Looking at the thermometer, I don't expect I'll be taking any recent snow pics anytime soon!

brokensword

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
doing my victory dance (heavy tongue in cheek!)

ezgif.com-resize.gif

Reactions: j.w
Reaction score
Country
I leave my pump on all winter. I was told to do this as the water would become very acidic if I switched it off! Was this correct?

Lizabeth Harris.

brokensword

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
I leave my pump on all winter. I was told to do this as the water would become very acidic if I switched it off! Was this correct?

Lizabeth Harris.
actually no, that is incorrect. Acidity is caused by decaying organic matter or if your source water is already acidic. Over time, most ponds become more acidic for the above reason. Proper Kh and Gh numbers will keep the ph (ph is a measure of acid/base solutions) balanced, but you'd need to test your water first. The reason most keep their water/pump moving is to help alleviate the effect of ice on the surface and/or to keep a hole open. Many don't have any water movement at all (or, very little) but create the same effect with either aerators/deicers/or pond breathers. You have to be careful that if you have a waterfall, that it doesn't freeze and divert water out of your pond (in the winter).

brokensword

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
thanks, addy; sometimes you get insight as well as luck, you know? Now, I'll be shut out of February's contest as since my pond is enclosed, not a lot of visitors, you know? Heck, had to import both frogs and turtles just to up the inhabitant count!

Michael

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
great pic makes me feel cold

Donna Saverino MI

My first Grandchild
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5/6
Country
Makes me proud to say I'm your neighbor. My husband who is also into photography says Magnificent!

brokensword

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
well, thank you and your husband very much! I can't really hold a candle to some of the pics I've seen from RobAmy, but then, I think he's had more practice! Still, I get lucky sometimes! Btw, this was taken at Cranbrook Gardens, right up the road from you; you should visit if you're into really nice nature scenery. This particular area is the Japanese gardens. Really, really nice area ALL times of the year as Cranbrook has statuary and ponds to augment the scenery. For the past few years, to get in has been free...you should check it out if you haven't been there!

Michael

A

Advertising

Ask a Question