POTM September 2017 Winner

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Congratulations to @brokensword for winning the August 2017 Photo of the Month! (y)

1501011-sable-falls-t-_igp9658-jpg.102786

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thank you, j.w. and Lisa. This is a picture of Sable Falls in the upper peninsula. I liked that the rock behind the water was so dark. And it was made that much better by the autumn colors.

Michael

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Great photo, Congratulation!
Is that a place near your home?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Great photo, Congratulation!
Is that a place near your home?
Thanks, Gemma. I wish. This on the northern edge of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, near Lake Superior's southern beach. I'm located in the Lower Peninsula, 40 minutes west of Detroit.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@brokensword we lived in Waterford and Pontiac way back in the 80's. Mean winters and hot sweaty Summers but Spring and Fall were nice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
pretty close to where I live now, jw; I'm just on the southern edge of Pontiac. Can see St. Joe hospital from the front door. And yeah, spring is nice when it lasts more than 7 days. And winters here ARE mean--that's to teach you how to drive in snow! heh heh

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
The 1st winter we were there, in the early 80's was one of the worst winters. Snow was piled up way high! We were from Western Washington where we don't get much snow and what we do we just shovel off the walkways and be done w/it. Well back there in Michigan one night we got a darn big snowstorm and we went out and cleared the front walkway next to the Voorheis road in Pontiac that night so we could get to the car in the morning. Did a nice job and all looked good. Next morning arrived and darned if that big old snowplow hadn't come along and put all the snow back right where it was and then some! We learned to park the car in the back alley:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ha! I know right where Voorheis is! And yeah, I typically wait until the plow comes by, or start in the middle of the night so my wife can get out in the morning. Used to be, more than a few years ago, we had a judge that lived on the block; ah, can you say 'immediate snow service'? Hardly ever had issues then (and the street wasn't paved back then, either!) But probably the worst part of Michigan is how our state economy seems to center around fixing the roads. So, the winter becomes a really good part of traveling as all construction ends at Thanksgiving. And since you lived in Mi once, you probably know the state flower is the orange and white construction barrel because they come up every spring! Sheesh!

When I grew up, I missed ONE (and only one) day of school due to snow. Now, my kids got days off left and right. Even because the temperature went down below 10 deg outside. Double sheesh! That one day was our SECOND worst/deepest snowfall ever at 19+ inches. Makes the drivers/current citizens of Mi seem like sissys, now, you know? And, what's with all the 'all wheel drive' cars, or the 'anti-lock' braking systems? When I grew up, we learned how to get our REAR wheel driven tanks-for-cars out of almost any snowfall!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
We had a Ford Pinto wagon back then and boy did that thing slip around in the snow but my hubby could drive that thing like it was a snowmobile. Once he was driving me and another friend somewhere and a car went out of control heading right at us and hubby drove that Pinto right smack up a snow bank and down the other side and we kept right on going down the road like it happened everyday. The guy w/us had his hands over his eyes :eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
ahhhh, spoken like a true Michigander; '...we kept on going down the road like it happened everyday.' Tell your hubby he done did Michigan PROUD!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
We were only there for 2yrs. Hubby was going to school at Midwestern. 2 yrs was enough for me. The snow was so pretty and we decided to go for a nice walk one evening. Well we lasted about 5 minutes out there in the sub zero temps, at least it felt like sub zero! Never saw so many lakes in one place before either. Was a nice place to bike ride, weather permitting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It takes getting used to, for sure. That said, whenever I start feeling sorry for myself, I remember 'weather in Minnesota' stories and I stop b*tching. I mean, they send their kids to school even when it's -40! Yikes!

I think the winter would be more acceptable if the summers weren't so humid. Makes spring and fall seasons you HAVE to take time to enjoy, you know?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
We have it too easy here. If we get an inch or so that lasts for a couple days we feel fortunate................well some of us do. I like snow but I like to be able to go out and enjoy it. No fun just staring out the window most of the time at it wishing.
I could use some right now as it's 88 here and I'm melting!

upload_2017-9-3_16-58-33.gif

Ask a Question