Pump choice ... Thoughts ?

Reaction score
Hello guys ,

my pond will be roughly 11x11x4

waterfall height will be 3 feet ( easy pro aquafalls small ) - 18 inch spill way with matala filters.
skimmer will be savio standard with uv clarifier 8.5 imch faceplate.
pump is Savio Water Master Solids Pump 3600gph

http://pondscapeonline.com/savio_solids_pumps.htm

distance from pump to waterfall will be around 15 - 17 feet
pond volume will be 2300 - 2700 Gallon

is pump GPH enough ? or i should go to the 5000 GPH
what do u think about setup in general ...?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your pond is around 2700 gallons, You would be a lot better with a 5000 gph pump. To handle the waterfall and head pressure.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
so more like 3600 gallons so go bigger with your pump.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Skimmer, go savio, far better bang for the buck. Good quality, VERY functional, But you will need the large savio not the compact. the pump will be to big for the compact.
On the check valve you want the flapper type. I think triton is who made the one I'm using. On your UV, Don't use the Savio UV, although they are made to fit in the skimmer and nice to use that way the replacement bulbs are very expensive, If you get one you can plumb in line you'll save quite a bit on bulb replacement. That's the big cost of a UV because the bulbs only last about one year so you want to check the cost of replacement bulbs as part of your research when purchasing a unit.

Reaction score
thanks mate

what about aquafalls small filter ? is it enough or i should go aquafalls medium?

regarding skimmer , i think standard savio is the large savio , coz there r 2 sizes only compact and standard..

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Are you using the aguafalls as the only filter or are you going to use or make a additional filter. If it is going to be the primary or only filter go as big as possible, If your going to build or run additional filtering just make sure it can handle your pumping rate. They work good but they do have limited filtering so choose accordingly. Myself I would want to go as big as possible and add additional DYI filter.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Guess I need a bigger pump. I have appx 2500 gal pond and only a Pondmaster 2400gph pump and waterfall is a couple ft high. Oops I buggered up. Looks like I should have bought a 5000 gph. I want a submersible. What's the best on power useage and quality :cool:

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
j.w said:
Guess I need a bigger pump. I have appx 2500 gal pond and only a Pondmaster 2400gph pump and waterfall is a couple ft high. Oops I buggered up. Looks like I should have bought a 5000 gph. I want a submersible. What's the best on power useage and quality :lol:

laguna make very good pumps :lol:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
mofal,
The heart of your pond is your filter, it is what keeps your fish and water healthy, like fishin says, build a nice diy filter. You won't regret it on how well it keeps your pond and the ease of cleaning it out.

Reaction score
To use a pump to filter my 8' X 30" swimming pond temporarily for my 3 Koi, how about: Danner Supreme Mag-Drive Utility Pumps - 250 gph

I would like to use it external along with my homemade tub filter.

This can be bought at Petco for about $60.00.

Ask a Question