Question for Winterizing

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone

I have a bottom/back drain (sorry I inherited pond and do not know all proper lingo) that I use when cleaning etc.
My question is do I want to open and drain that and leave open for winter when I shut pond off (I put aerator in) or do I keep that closed and keep water in there? Thanks for any help!
Adam

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Do you live in a cold climate .By bottom drain we mean something that is in the bottom of the pond that runs to a filter .We may need a pic of what you are talking about .Bottom drains are usually cut into the liner .Is the pump external or in a skimmer

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hey Adam. If you could describe your setup and pond a little more that would be helpful to get you the right information. Seldom is there an absolute set of rules. Everything is based on the individual pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Is this a preformed pond or liner also and depth of pond will help us and what kind of fish ,how big are they and how many fish .It will help us to know what state you are in also .Temps matter both water and air temps .I see your pond in your pic but it is small and hard to see

Reaction score
You never want to keep water in a line if it's going to freeze. However with a bottom drain there is no way to keep the water out short of getting into the pond and plugging it after the water has been blown out which isn't very practical.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you guys for the help, sorry for the delay getting back to you.
I am in New Jersey, near NYC.
My pond is around 600 gallons (estimate) and I have 2 goldfish and 2 albino catfish.

What I was talking about is in the basket that gets filled with water and falls out of the basket to be the waterfall. In the back of that basket behind pond I have a drain I can open, my question was do I open that drain and empty that basket for the winter?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Yes, I would leave the waterfall drain open, since you are shutting it off for winter. I wouldn't want to take a chance on cracking it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I moved here from Edison NJ so you may have to consider the worst case winter there .Could be a mild winter but could be a bitter cold with lots of snow winter .I know up there the winds can be bad when it gets cold .At least winters were not as bad as what they got north of you .Reason I retired here ;)

Ask a Question