Question on spring diet

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
In regards to garlic... I like to mix their wheat germ food with freshly pressed garlic in the spring. 2 reasons: 1) really boosts the health benefits for them. Garlic is a powerful, natural antibacterial, so in spring when our fish immune systems are lowest, this helps them fight off bacterial infections and such. 2) Fish LOVE garlic! They simply cannot resist the taste, so that fresh garlic kick encourages them to come up and eat after being out of the habit for so long (temperature permitting, of course!).

Yes, it's a stinky process, but it's fun to see how excited they get over it. I take a wet towel out to cleanse my fingers between pinches of food. Garlic is also a great way to introduce your fish to new foods, like leafy lettuce that boosts their vitamin C!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
In regards to garlic... I like to mix their wheat germ food with freshly pressed garlic in the spring. 2 reasons: 1) really boosts the health benefits for them. Garlic is a powerful, natural antibacterial, so in spring when our fish immune systems are lowest, this helps them fight off bacterial infections and such. 2) Fish LOVE garlic! They simply cannot resist the taste, so that fresh garlic kick encourages them to come up and eat after being out of the habit for so long (temperature permitting, of course!).

Yes, it's a stinky process, but it's fun to see how excited they get over it. I take a wet towel out to cleanse my fingers between pinches of food. Garlic is also a great way to introduce your fish to new foods, like leafy lettuce that boosts their vitamin C!!

nice way to supplement a wheat germ based food without garlic. which i currently have. tetra (hey, nobody laugh...) anyways, could you explain how you go about mixing it with the food and after you press it, do you chop it up, etc. thank you! hold on now...this tetra stuff has algae meal in it. do i really want to put algae into my pond? i was hoping to buy some nt labs medikoi wheat germ and garlic, but darn if i can find a seller that ships to the us. i guess blackwater cool season is a good choice and still add some fresh garlic, it has to be better.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
nice way to supplement a wheat germ based food without garlic. which i currently have. tetra (hey, nobody laugh...) anyways, could you explain how you go about mixing it with the food and after you press it, do you chop it up, etc. thank you! hold on now...this tetra stuff has algae meal in it. do i really want to put algae into my pond? i was hoping to buy some nt labs medikoi wheat germ and garlic, but darn if i can find a seller that ships to the us. i guess blackwater cool season is a good choice and still add some fresh garlic, it has to be better.

I use a garlic press, so the garlic is totally smashed to bits, and I mix it just like that with the food. I currently feed the Nijikawa food https://www.nijikawausa.com/ , which is a simply AMAZING quality diet. I've watched my fish improve in health since switching to this food last summer. Keeps my water quality better as well, and the fish really go crazy over it. I do believe you will find algae in most koi diets, and that is perfectly fine, very nutritious for them. Also-- Amazon sells medikoi. I use that as needed for identifiable illness or disease.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I use a garlic press, so the garlic is totally smashed to bits, and I mix it just like that with the food. I currently feed the Nijikawa food https://www.nijikawausa.com/ , which is a simply AMAZING quality diet. I've watched my fish improve in health since switching to this food last summer. Keeps my water quality better as well, and the fish really go crazy over it. I do believe you will find algae in most koi diets, and that is perfectly fine, very nutritious for them. Also-- Amazon sells medikoi. I use that as needed for identifiable illness or disease.
i went to amazon for medikoi but could only find uk sellers. i tried 3 and recieved a prompt that it couldn't be shipped to my address.
maybe it's because i'm doing 10 to 20 at san quentin...(just kidding)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
t i may have to start them off with tetra spring and fall with added fresh garlic since i already have it.
I need to try the fresh garlic myself, this year, but I doubt my fish will want to coaperate.....they are so stubborn and picky

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I need to try the fresh garlic myself, this year, but I doubt my fish will want to coaperate.....they are so stubborn and picky
just like my goats... goats are actually picky eaters. the old story of goats eating anything is an old husband's tale.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
just like my goats... goats are actually picky eaters. the old story of goats eating anything is an old husband's tale.
You read my mind! lol I meant to ask you about your goats, but I didn't want to stray off topic, so perhaps you could start a thread in General Chat where we can discuss Farm animals? :)

Ask a Question