Rainbow shiners

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Italy
Hi, 2 days ago I got my first rainbow shiners (Notropis chrosomus) for one of the 275 liter tub, I understand they prefer pebbles on the bottom and a good current. Tried to give them as much but they are still very shy, sticking to the shaded small bit of the bottom of the tub. I understand it is only early days but is there anything else I should do to make them comfy?

Attachments

• IMG_20180615_155714.jpg
    IMG_20180615_155714.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 530

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Some type of cover, minnows are basically food for everything else. So they will not be comfortable out in the open with nothing to dart and hide near.

If you observe most minnows found in streams, like the rainbow shiners, they are found over gravel bottom in the open. However, they are never too far from the cover of stumps or tree roots, large rocks that they can dart under when spooked.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I agree with JHN, put some cover or a small cave like something in the water. Way to open for them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Italy
Some type of cover, minnows are basically food for everything else. So they will not be comfortable out in the open with nothing to dart and hide near.

If you observe most minnows found in streams, like the rainbow shiners, they are found over gravel bottom in the open. However, they are never too far from the cover of stumps or tree roots, large rocks that they can dart under when spooked.
Thank you for the advice, these fish are still new to Italy (actually not easy to get hold of any). I can move in for them the big water mint plant from the next tub (still uninhabited) and/or put some wood in. Tubs are just next to woods, mainly oak so I can look for old/dry/debarked branches - would the tannins be a problem?

Attachments

• IMG_20180615_155730.jpg
    IMG_20180615_155730.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 447
Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow, they are a particularity beautiful fish. I wouldn’t use untreated wood. You could treat what you find (disinfect, boil and soak) to be sure. Perhaps just a ceramic pot on its side will do the job.
Stephen

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Italy
Thanks, in the mean time I have put in just a hollow brick, lots of holes to hide. Will not put the oak wood in just yet (although it is wood on my property, away from any kind of pollution and actually the tubs are just under one of the oaks, I use the dried up leaves to make a "tea" to tint the water of a number of Southamerican tanks if required)

Ask a Question