Restocking fees--encouraging a boycott

Reaction score
"Example. Little Giant sells an out of pond pump advertised as very quiet. I think they even add some kind of augumentation statement, i.e. as a whisper or quietest on the market, etc. when I got it it had a whine I could hear in my front yard! Quiet. Not even close to quiet.
Another example is a pump from another company rated at 6500 GPH. when I hooked it up I didn't have a flowmeter yet, but I guarantee you it wasn't 6500. It was hardly noticably different than the current pump rated at 4700. So yes, I returned both of them.

A third example is the second Aqua Art bottom drain I've bought from them that the original design of my expansion called for. As the expansion continued and grew, it turned out I didn't need a second bottom drain. But, I did need a concrete coating the same company sold. So I asked to ship back, at my expense of course, the bottom drain in exchange for the concrete coating and maybe some other product to make up the difference in price. Their response was to charge me 25% restocking fee for the return.

You want to accept that. You go ahead. I'm not going to. "

You not only returned the items, you used them first. Do you think they can take your used returned pumps, drains, whatever, stick them back on the shelf
and then re-sell them to someone else? Would you except used merchandise, if they shipped a returned item to you?
You're calling for a boycott on two companies, that I'm not sure if you've even ordered
from these two particular companies, yet you want a public boycott against them.
My remark, however stinging, it is also my case in point. On-line companies would cease to exist with customers like you,
thus the re-stocking charges help to defer the excessive returns and de-fray the cost of re-furbishing and re-packaging of the returns.

Actually D&RW, what you consider to be mean spirited, judgemental, and nasty, I consider to be a lively debate.
You want my remarks sanctioned, yet you
want --
"the absolute right to protest. And protest publicly."

Reaction score
Okay people! I'm shutting down this thread. Please do not add anything further to it.

Unfortunately, as a group, we've taken on a very snippy tone here. We've lost patience with DR&W--and he's done nothing wrong. He has every right to do as he wishes with his pond, and he's acknowledged that perhaps he's made a few mistakes. He's also apologized to the group and said that he would have posted his thread differently. Yet, we are continuing to hammer him.

GPF should be a friendly place where we can come together with a like passion and to learn from one another. Though we might disagree with each other from time to time, at the end of the day, we must agree to disagree and let go. We can advise and suggest to others, but we can't ultimately bat folks over the head to do as we say with their ponds. It's their pond, so their choices.

I certainly can't say that I haven't done or bought something that didn't work out as planned for my pond. I can't imagine that everyone here can say that they have not made mistakes with their ponds either.

I can understand the fiery-ness that we all have for our hobby gets us all excited and perhaps a tad overzealous sometimes--and occasionally that causes us to comment in a way that might hurt or offend someone else without us even knowing it. Let me be the first to say that if I have offended anyone on this thread, I apologize for it.

Unless you have an apology to add, please do not post any further here.

Ask a Question