Rotting?

Reaction score
Country
Malta
I've been trying to grow these lotus in a tank, however it seems that many of the leaves rot a while after opening. Have had many leaves and all of them rotted, maybe it's because the roots are still adjusting? I repotted them recently to use better soil/mud and added fertilizer. Also, I live in a country where the summer is very hot and can reach 40° easily. Should I cover them from direct sunlight (they get around 5hrs of direct sun a day)?
Info:
Using tap water as we don't have much rain water, but can use distilled water.
Two lotuses in 4 inch of mud and aprox 10L tank.
A couple of snails in the tank, I try to get rid of as many as I can.
IMG_20230626_124454.jpg
IMG_20230626_124443.jpg
IMG_20230626_125350.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Malta
Also, there is a water pump that passes water through an aquarium filter (can be seen in img- blue pipe and lunchbox)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I can hear how much they mean to you, me too. I've read that they should not be fertilized until 2 or 3 leaves have become airborne. Mine get about 7 hours of sun a day, planted in clay, unscented cat litter about a foot of circulating pond water above the roots. Several leaves are now above water and I'm anxiously waiting for a bud or two. I moved them (carefully!) from a deeper tub over the winter, time will tell if I did it right.
Several here grow them successfully, seemingly effortlessly, so they will likely have plenty of good advice for you.

Reaction score
Country
Malta
I see, I tought so but I posted on facebook and this woman insisted i should fertilize them. They're the stuff you put in the soil like beads, I'll see if I can remove them still.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can't believeara everything you see on facebook! I've been growing lotus from seeds for years and learned the hard way when I killed off over 20 seedlings by fertilizing too soon.

Ask a Question