Salt

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
So I bought a salinity meter and pond salt premature and after reading some threads realized most of you think it's a waste. I sent the meter back but have 2 Lbs. of "pond salt" and wondered when I add water if it would hurt to throw a handful in let's say 50 gallons of water when bringing the water level back up?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Many pondkeepers do not realize that there is almost always a background level of salinity in all freshwater bodies of water. You can put the salt in as you described (if you mare speaking of adding 50 gallons of water), but keep in mind that the salt will stay in the water until it is removed by water changes.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I also have some pond salt sitting in the back room. All the pond stores around here said to add salt. I did for almost 10 years. Once I joined this forum I learned the truth. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think the biggest problem is people hear "pond" and they have one image that pops in their head. Ponds are definitely not "one size fits all". There are so many variations and reasons why people keep ponds. When my husband tried to get me to add salt to our pond (he's a former aquarium hobbyist) my first thought was my plants - it might be good for fish, but salt is definitely not something that a gardener wants in their garden!

Ask a Question