Check my Salt Level without a test kit?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have an expired "Pond Care" Salt Level Test kit and cannot find anywhere a new kit.
Does anybody know if they still manufacture these? How can I check my Salt Level without a test kit?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I did a Google search and this product shows up. However, on a couple of sites it did say that it was “discontinued.” One site stated the presence of mercury was an issue. You might try your own internet search.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Country
United States
This is an interesting question - I wasn't aware that Salt was any good for Koi's. I researched very quickly what it can do for Koi's and most of what I found so far is it helps with the overall health of the Koi's or fishes.

I Like It!

I hope you find your answer @Judy G.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Salt can be beneficial to fish (not just koi) but it can also be harmful to the plants in your pond. You have to be careful with using it if your pond is planted. I personally don't use salt in my pond for that reason. We did have one fish that had a large wound on his head that we treated with a salt bath with great results, but we removed him from the pond and put the fish into the salted water for treatment.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Salt is used in koi ponds in order to protect them from the effects of nitrite and to supposedly protect them from various parasites.
It's not a practice I support.
There is no need for salt unless specifically treating for a certain issue.
Focus on good water quality instead.

Last edited:

Ask a Question