cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I enjoy the Sedges more.
@j.w , why do you like sedges more? I was looking for a low growing, grass like plant for the pond, and like the way your sweet flag looks.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I just think they are thicker leaved and don't bruise as easy as the Sweet Flag. The Sweet Flag grows better in my pond then the ones in my gardens. The one in my pond does not bruise like the garden ones that are exactly the same. Watch out tho the Sedges too can really spread and they put underground roots out and pop up. Put them in areas where you don't care if they spread or pull the new plants up and place in other spots. That Sweet Flag spreads much faster than any Sedge I have but if you are going for that then it works great. Not a problem if it has the space to grow. My problem is that it is going to outgrow my pond and I will have to get in there and hack it off little by little till it's out. The Sweet Flags are easier to get out of the ground tho then the Sedges. Sedges can be tricky to find all the roots but not impossible. If I ever get the Sweet Flag outta my pond I am going to use a Sedge to replace it.
I had this sedge below and it was quite pretty but it put out roots like crazy so I pulled it out of the garden. Should have tried it in my pond tho as it might have been easier to control if just in water. Sedges will tolarate shade also.

The variegated broadleaf sedge is a grasslike plant that grows well in the sun or shade.
sedge.jpg

I think I have this one below that I really like:
Carex morrowii 'Variegata' differs from the species in having a broad white stripe down the center of each leaf. Zones 5-9
CTG501856.jpg

And I might have this kind also:
Carex oshimensis 'Evergold', sometimes called Carex hachijoensis, is a low-growing plant with creamy yellow variegation. It is hardy in Zones 6-9.
100023578.jpg

So many to choose from: https://www.gardenia.net/plants/plant-family/carex_--_sedges
and I want more!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucy Williams

Latest Threads