Softening the look of my neighbors brick wall

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Lovely. What is the shorter section on the left? Is it behind the front panel or merely a shorter section? Great idea. We have Carolina Jasimine growing on a very big iron trellis in the front. It secures the front open area between our house and the neighbor.
Well, all it is....and it was supposed to be on either side....would be just a shorter section of the same thing. But now that you mention it, having the ends angle back toward the wall might look good - a dimensional look!

I'm at HOME DEPOT as we speak and was looking at their selection in-store. These companies make frame sections so you can just about design anything. I don't know how sturdy -- you might still have to go with posts to attach the panels to.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Canada
How about a screen and a mini pergola..... traditional-landscape.jpg

With a wysteria growing from both sides (or clematis)pergola with wysteria.jpg

wysteria in bloom....wisteria.jpg

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
UPDATE: Of all things I discovered the power line in conduit is buried in front of the irrigatation line thus meaning another obstacle. Pushing the screens out too far impacts the already narrow space between our big deck and "the wall". Time for creativity!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
UPDATE: Of all things I discovered the power line in conduit is buried in front of the irrigatation line thus meaning another obstacle. Pushing the screens out too far impacts the already narrow space between our big deck and "the wall". Time for creativity!
Well, darn!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yikes Lou I think we need pix and distances of this so we can see what's going on. Are you allowed to build over that stuff as long as you leave that conduit readily accessible? Say building something w/ for legs so there is an open space above the conduit? Kind of like that Wisteria photo above only maybe not as wide. Get my drift?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Btw, the buried power line was justed installed for "my" pump! Not hooked up yet.

JW, your idea is great! The post could be cut or slotted to accommodate the conduit. Last night my CFO told me it is fine to make the plan but if it is going be expensive it must be budgeted. Life with an accountant! Geeze, can't we just plant a money tree?

What do yo folks thing of tall pots containing tall grassy plants or even flowering evergreens?

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I've always been intrigued with the idea of creating a "living wall" vertical garden trellis. The concept is as old as the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, but the newer "succulent walls" are so beautiful - and once established they supposedly require little water or maintenance. I'll bet these living walls took a lot of work:
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Intriquing, beautiful and surely a bit of work. Just as we had to abandon our little flower pots on the trellis project last year the succulents would not be suiting for the sunny area along the wall. Our summer air temperature plus the radiated heat from the side wall brick spells doom for such little beauties. :notworthy:

Reaction score
I'd definitely go with a trellis and some sort of beautiful climbing plant. Morning Glories and Climbing Hydrangea are beautiful. Personally, I'd do something like Honeysuckle, because I love the little flowers and the beautiful fragrance.

Reaction score
BigLou, what if, instead of building the wall from the ground up, you extended boards from what looks to be your pergola, towards the neighbors house, and then let the lattice or trellis hang down from them? You would not have to bury posts in the ground then.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ah honeysuckle. We had a small walk through arbor years ago. Always loved honeysuckle since I was a kid. My handmade walk through had a weathervane that is until the thriving honeysuckle completely covered the walk through and with its power vines ripped the weathervane off the roof! That lovely smelling beautiful blossomed vine twisted everything in its path. Sadly I cut it and the walk through down. The primary trunk of the honeysuckle was over 2" in diameter plus it's root system was well entrenched in the rich soil. I still love honeysuckle but in the forest.

Confederate and Carolina Jasmine both do very well in our area.

Ask a Question