String algae

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
There's a nutrient present in the water that the other plants apparently don't use. The string algae/blanket weed/ whatever you want to call it, Thrives on. Or it requires way less than the bog plants. I want to know what plant uses that nutrient so I may plant it.
I figured WH would fit the bill. I bought two plants. Put one in the goldfish pond, and one in th' swimmin pond bog. Both are in similar depth of water. There must be a bazillion of them in the fish pond, all green and growing. The one in the swimmin' pond is all but dead. The other bog plants are doing ok, and putting on new growth etc. but not like those in the fish pond. Both ponds have exceptionally clear water. and both ponds have string algae/blanket weed. I'm not really worried about it in either pond, but would rather it not be in the swimmin' pond. And was wondering what nutrient may be present that the bog plants don't "eat" that the algae does eat.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
A lot of times the cause is high phosphorus content in the water. By any chance do you have a septic system above your ponds? I had this problem 7 years ago. Someone above me had a new septic system installed. I believe they illegally pumped waste on the ground and it ended up in my pond. It takes a while to get rid of it. (3 years for me) Here's a good link to correct the problem.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Unfortunately, algae have the ability to use ammonia as a nutrient, while higher plants have to wait for nitrate, the end product of the cycle. That is why algae does so well, while other plants suffer.
John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
First things first What all to many don't realize if you have city water as it is called or Municipal . They deliberately add Phosphorous to the water is it to keep algae from growing ? NOPE. is it to polish the water? NOPE .... It is added to help the pipes from rotting out... but in our eyes it helps to over load the pond with organics or minerals creating alga blooms. ALL to often the biggest problem with our ponds is ourselves... over stocking and over feeding . is the first two reasons why we have algae issues.
Next is a under sized or inadequate filtration system . Then i would say is lack of turn over and circulation. ITS A LEARNING CURVE its a balance of knowing your strengths and weaknesses. learning what works and what doesn't

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
There's a nutrient present in the water that the other plants apparently don't use. The string algae/blanket weed/ whatever you want to call it, Thrives on. Or it requires way less than the bog plants. I want to know what plant uses that nutrient so I may plant it.
I figured WH would fit the bill. I bought two plants. Put one in the goldfish pond, and one in th' swimmin pond bog. Both are in similar depth of water. There must be a bazillion of them in the fish pond, all green and growing. The one in the swimmin' pond is all but dead. The other bog plants are doing ok, and putting on new growth etc. but not like those in the fish pond. Both ponds have exceptionally clear water. and both ponds have string algae/blanket weed. I'm not really worried about it in either pond, but would rather it not be in the swimmin' pond. And was wondering what nutrient may be present that the bog plants don't "eat" that the algae does eat.
Just curious if you have a biological filter? I’m guessing not. Beneficial bacteria in a biofilter would prevent string algae because it would compete for the nutrients.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
String algae seems to be very very proficient at grabbing nutrients from fast flowing waters . it seems to start in fast flowing areas like streams and water falls

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
String algae seems to be very very proficient at grabbing nutrients from fast flowing waters . it seems to start in fast flowing areas like streams and water falls

It's also great at collecting fine sediment - when you pull it out of the stream it's loaded with dirt.

That's the first thing I had to do.

I'm not saying removing the algae manually is a bad idea; I'm just saying an article on how to control algae that recommends 1. removing the algae and 2. removing the fish is not terribly helpful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
One pond has no fish. and upon testing all tests return 0 accross the board. PH shows neutral, and my KH test kit has been had by mice, so I need a new one.

Ask a Question