Someone stole my string algae!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have been battling string algae in one of my ponds for the last 6 weeks. We had a mild winter, no ice on ponds. Lilies have already bloomed several times and the bog is growing like crazy! Been pulling out 5-10 gallons of string algae every couple of days and having to clean the pumps every day. Large bog running- 1600gph, plus 2 other filters- 4500gph.
Noticed today on camera that a pump was not running so went down to clean prefilter on it. Looked out at pond and all my string algae has disappeared! Lilies, airstones, everything clean. We added the air pump last week and as soon as we did, the koi spawned. No food for last 3 weeks. Crazy- guess things just finally balanced out.
Moral of the story- Patience!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Geez I am just now getting a bud close to opening, we have been so cold even the frogs quit mating and calling again. The pond is slowly crawling into the 60's

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Wow, you are ahead of us too! We've had damage to box woods and Japanese Maples, due to the late Spring hard frost ! We're to warm up this week end and stay warmed up :)

Not looking forward to koi spawning though........:(

Ask a Question