Surgery for a constipated goldfish

Reaction score
Strange adventures in pet ownership: A UK man noticed that his beloved goldfish was constipated, brought him to the vet, learned that it would cost roughly $465 for surgery, left the vet because it would be crazy to pay that kind of money for a goldfish, returned guiltily 10 minutes later to pay the money, and now has a healthy goldfish again, reports the Telegraph.

The two necessary quotes from the vet:

• "The issue was the fish couldn't poo and it would have eventually become toxic and it would have died."
  • "The actual surgery is quite straightforward but administering the anesthetic is quite complicated." (It involved tubes and a miniature heart-rate monitor, and the the Daily Mail has photos.)
The vet in Norfolk removed two lumpy obstructions from the 3-inch fish during a 50-minute procedure and stitched it back up.

This is actually the second goldfish surgery to make headlines within a year, though the first fish was 10 years old and the more recent patient is just under 3 years old; the creature's life expectancy is about 10 years.

(That other goldfish actually had brain surgery.)

This article originally appeared on Newser: $465 Surgery Saves Constipated Goldfish

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/...y/?intcmp=ob_homepage_health&intcmp=obnetwork

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Strange adventures in pet ownership: A UK man noticed that his beloved goldfish was constipated, brought him to the vet, learned that it would cost roughly $465 for surgery, left the vet because it would be crazy to pay that kind of money for a goldfish, returned guiltily 10 minutes later to pay the money, and now has a healthy goldfish again, reports the Telegraph.

The two necessary quotes from the vet:

• "The issue was the fish couldn't poo and it would have eventually become toxic and it would have died."
  • "The actual surgery is quite straightforward but administering the anesthetic is quite complicated." (It involved tubes and a miniature heart-rate monitor, and the the Daily Mail has photos.)
The vet in Norfolk removed two lumpy obstructions from the 3-inch fish during a 50-minute procedure and stitched it back up.

This is actually the second goldfish surgery to make headlines within a year, though the first fish was 10 years old and the more recent patient is just under 3 years old; the creature's life expectancy is about 10 years.

(That other goldfish actually had brain surgery.)

This article originally appeared on Newser: $465 Surgery Saves Constipated Goldfish

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/...y/?intcmp=ob_homepage_health&intcmp=obnetwork
Bullfrog are you a Brit ?, s a Brit myself this story moved me as did the one about the tumor we are a soppy lot :LOL:
However in the UK there are very little in the way of Fish Doctors so the owners were lucky to find veterinarians who have that knowledge.
We found when calling on the services of a vet that we acctually had a far greater knowledge of our koi than the Vet which he readily admitted to us (basically they dont get anything in the way of fish normally).
He was very good about it and waved his his call out fee only charging us for the cost of the drugs required to treat the sick koi.
As a result of our meeting we can now ring his surgery and if antibiotics are needed he will sell us a bottle of Baytril or which ever other drug is needed, it gives us access to drugs that you can get over the counter in the US but have to be prescribed here in the UK .
However what a lovely story and a good end to it "believe me I wish the papers would report more on things like this" , rather than endless reports on war beheadings and the middle east , why cant these people grow up and act like human beings.eh (the rest of us seem to manage (though we ourselves have had our moments throught history).
Lets all make friends in the world sod the Political elite and live as one ( apipe dream I know but I can dream) :happy:

Dave

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well sorry and I love my goldfish but I would not be spending lots of bucks to fix one up. I would do what I could to help one but that's just nuts. I guess if one has the money to do things like that then go for it. Neat story tho showing that medical science can do such an amazing thing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Well sorry and I love my goldfish but I would not be spending lots of bucks to fix one up. I would do what I could to help one but that's just nuts. I guess if one has the money to do things like that then go for it. Neat story tho showing that medical science can do such an amazing thing.
We Brits tend to go tht extra mile dont we j.w. , thats just the way we are, we have big hearts and some large wallets.
We also have a srong set of laws regarding animal welfare
It also introduced a welfare offence for the first time. This places a 'duty of care' on pet owners to provide for their animals' basic needs, such as adequate food and water, veterinary treatment and an appropriate environment in which to live. Previously the 'duty of care' had only existed for farm animals before the 2006 act:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_Welfare_Act_2006

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ethics/animals/overview/latest.shtml

Under it we have to be seen to seek treatment for our pets by law otherwise if reported by a neighbour or concerned member of the Public you can face arrest and a day before the judge for either a ban on keeping pets, a large fine and or a spell in Her Majesties Prisons.
The police are called in they in turn bring in an RSPCA officer who assess your pet , if they say you've neglected that care then and only then will the above mentioned roll into being.
Even we koi keepers had a say in the laws making after the Government contacted all the relevant organizations clubs etc for their imput as to how it should be written into law ,
When it became Law it was amazing the number of dog breeders some of them top ones who fell foul of this new law and are now banned from keeping animals, the shock waves it sent out where felt thoughout the dog world.

Dave

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would love to see better laws, rules about animal breeders here. So many dogs/cats get abused, mistreated. Breeding mills, horrible conditions.

Fish.........I care for them, but not sure I would spend that much to save a goldfish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Ola Bullfrog just wondered as not many people read the Mail outsid of the UK unless they are expat's
Before my health started to fail and I had a series eight leg of operations due to the result of a motor bike smash.
I spent two years working out of Vigo Northern Spain as a mate on a deepsea fishing trawler had some really good times whilst there and met lots of nice people too who extended to me the best of Spanish hospitality
A very nice story to start the year with though thank you :happy:
Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
It's really hard to place an amount of money that should be spent on any pet for medical attention. It's all rather costly when you start to add up all the costs. The cost of the pet should have no impact on what someone is willing to pay for veterinary care. That is of course my opinion only. I have spent several hundred dollars and many trips to the vet with a guinea pig which I believe I paid $20.00 for purchase price. I have also done the same for a rabbit. Never for a fish (yet) but it may be something I would consider depending on the situation.

Ask a Question