TANKED: unfiltered.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
There was another show that they had to add the "chiller", it was in Las Vegas, the bubblegum machine that was going to sit outside on the sidewalk, didn't want the fish to fry, or the bubblegum to melt. :) Don't remember the CA football player's "pool" having a cooler, but it likely did. Why not .... best for the best, right? I'd take my hand-built pond and lovingly chosen fish anyday! Fun to look at expensive, but would never want that. If someone else has to take care of it, then where is the fun in that? :)

fresia1999

Fresia
Reaction score
I enjoy my little pond so much. One of my Comets that use to be very shy is the one that comes up to me the most and rubs against my hand. I don't know if it likes me or just thinks I will always have food. I was telling my grandson yesterday why keeping a goldfish in a bowl is not good. He seemed very interested.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Fresia, it's likely your goldfish has learned you are the good guy, and enjoys the attention you provide to it. My goldies seem to be far more friendly when I have my hand (or body for that matter) in the water, coming right up, climbing into my hand. The fantails are the friendliest of my goldfish, and the ones I raised are friendlier than ones I got as adults. They all get to know us, and know we won't hurt them. I have bullfrogs that will stay on the lily pads, even when I am pulling the one right next to them. But, have someone else here at the pond with me, and they will jump in. Make a liar out of me every time I say, "Oh, that's Smiley, he won't jump .... well he never jumps usually!" They learn our ways, and then use us to feed them and enjoy them back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
There was another show that they had to add the "chiller", it was in Las Vegas, the bubblegum machine that was going to sit outside on the sidewalk, didn't want the fish to fry, or the bubblegum to melt. :)

It was for Serendipity's. My niece went there this summer to see it and it wasn't there. Also the tank they did for Kiss wasn't there either. I thought that was strange. They do some amazing tanks.

fresia1999

Fresia
Reaction score
They do have little personalities and are so fun to watch playing and weaving in and out of the rocks. They really seem happy. I never knew I would get attached to them like I have. I just hope they survive through winter. I want to get a couple of Shubunkins but may wait till spring.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yup that show is surely interesting! Seen it a couple times just flippin through channels. My fish seem to get excited to see me when I stand on the edge...that or they just expect what I'm gonna throw to em lol...never tried hand feeding, but then again I have a black plastic holed screen over my entire pond now that someone last spring decided 3 of my fish looked good (they disappeared). Glad to report NONE have disappeared again over the summer! Safe guarding works!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Glad your fish are safe now, Rebel. I tried for the first time yesterday to hand feed my koi, and all they did was flip water at me. LOL I really don't want to get into the habit of them wanting to be hand fed, as then they will come to the edge anytime they see a shadow, or I would worry about them doing that, and if a heron comes a fishing, they will be easy treats! So far, no herons have tested my pond. I have a farm pond I'm sure they come to, though. It's very shallow, easy pickings for fishing. Hoping the dogs keep them away from the yard ponds, and my precious fish.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I love that show. But I think it's mostly for show. Some of the small stores would simply not be able to pay for the huge tanks they built. I think the cost of some of the tanks must be paid for by the program. And some of the tanks, how would they clean them? Still, it's very fun to watch.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
John, I wonder how they FEED the fish in some of the tanks, too, like the one for the little boy who has heart problems, will have to have open heart surgery several more times in his life. They put it like a bunk bed OVER his bed! How in the world will they get up there to feed those fish? What a chore that will be. And, yes, how do they ever clean the tanks, or don't they need to, maybe with salt water you don't have as much waste, or it's taken care of with the filtration? I know when I had a salt water, I had to clean and change water often, but mostly that was because my tank was too small (29 gallon) for salt water. BUT, they are beautiful!
I saw the show with this ball player and his koi tank. It's really cool, but I wondered why would you want to put huge koi into a new tank to start out with! Can you imagine the hundreds of babies those suckers are going to produce? Or, maybe the adults being that large, they will eat everything and no offspring will emerge. I assume they had the filtration figured out for keeping the maintenance down to an art, and I'm sure that guy has someone else doing the maintenance anyhow.

Ask a Question