thats amore'.....koi style

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
love is in the air...........and boy could i smell it as soon as opened the door to the deck...wasnt prepared tho so we'll see what happens.....they were using my iris roots and that would be great except the little goldies can easily swim thru the holes in milk crates.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
:biggrin: OOH The sweet smell of summer spawn in the morning

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
couldnt resist...i took out 2 artificial plants they were using to spawn on and put them in a 27 gal tub with a couple airstones . ive seen one free swimmer..black so probably a golfish there. but looks like i pulled maybe 100 koi eggs.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
so i toss in the 1000 gph pump this morning to pump out a few inches for a water change and when i'm done and pull it out...low and behold, its got eggs all over it, i now have to wonder how many eggs and or fry are now in the lawn behind the shed? and as the rocks around the edge were exposed man was there eggs over them too!!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
That's why i got rid off all the gold fish in my ponds
Very nice looking but have wild crazy breeding habits
Now if it looks like a fish egg .. Its a Koi

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
weve been cold the last couple nights...checked the tank temp this morning its 58* . are the eggs still viable or a lost cause now?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I never had a cold snap on my eggs
They should be hatching or ready too
Can you put a cover on it tonight to help hold in the heat

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
water was 63* this morning....i hope my eggs are good to go! i dont know what temp it was 2 nights ago but it sure felt COLD!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Its feels good for things that have been living out side

Reaction score
Yeah, I learned my lesson about goldfish on my mud pond. Amazing how many I had and from what I’ve seen so far they have more babies than koi. Maybe if I had a liner pond I would think about doing them again but, I love the large size of my Koi.

Most of my fry are all yellow but, there are very few that have different colors. Do they typically continue with the color they start with or can they drastically change? Hope to have a bit of variety.

I think I have had two spawning so far, saw one and smelled what I think was another. When does it typically stop?

How do people typically control a mud pond? Don’t mind but, do I drain and thin the heard every fall?

Ask a Question