unknowen species

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone i have a very fine sieve just below where water exits pond filter, everyday i check whats coming through and i'm finding hundreds of what looks like minute prawns and fresh water snails has anybody experienced this ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've started pulling lots of hyacinth from the pond and I'm seeing everything from worms, snails frogs salamanders and a cray fish that was the biggest surprise. I should add I have the hyacinth everywhere from the 3" water depth bog to the shallow stream and floating in the ponds

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Snails yes prawns no. Too bad the prawns aren't the kind you can eat or maybe they are if you let them grow? Yum!

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The minute prawns are probably amphipods/ gammarus shrimp. Signs of a healthy pond/ecosystem. As you found fish love to eat them.

I have snails, worms, amphipods all over the pond hiding in the root systems of plants. Snails aren’t quite as prevalent, as they are on the terrapins menu in my pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The minute prawns are probably amphipods/ gammarus shrimp. Signs of a healthy pond/ecosystem. As you found fish love to eat them.

I have snails, worms, amphipods all over the pond hiding in the root systems of plants. Snails aren’t quite as prevalent, as they are on the terrapins menu in my pond.
I am amazed at the diversity of bugs or what ever they may be I keep finding in the pond it's pretty cool.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I am amazed at the diversity of bugs or what ever they may be I keep finding in the pond it's pretty cool.

Agree, reminds me of reef tanks with deep sand beds. All the life that is found in well set up pond/ecosystems is fascinating.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Agree, reminds me of reef tanks with deep sand beds. All the life that is found in well set up pond/ecosystems is fascinating.
Oh please I beg of you don't get me thinking back to my reef tank . That was 20 plus years ago I remember well the amazing creatures I would find in the tank. buying live rock and god only know what would be found down the road. I remember having some pink stony hard coral appear on a piece of live rock. and a fish I had never bought all I could think of was he had to come on a piece of live rock as plankton and in time grew to size. I would spend hours and hours gazing into the tank.

Ask a Question