Used swimming pool liner for pond liner?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Old thread, but new topic for me. I just hauled home some swimming pool liner to add some smaller pond areas in the pond landscape. I tend to think that the age of the liner helps so far as any toxins leaching out from the plastic. I agree that there is no algaecide in the plastic, and I agree that years of UV rays can weaken the plastic. Nonetheless, I am going to install some ponds of minimal volume in the garden using this, and will add fish to control the mosquitoes that might find the ponds. I appreciate the feedback that came out of this thread. Thanks, everyone.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New pool liners do have chemicals in the material, as for old liner say 10 years old I would imagine any chemicals are long gone, if it's just a clip in bag pool liner I would say it's past its prime but as for material used on an on-site lined pool where the material is welded on site is much thicker and has a threaded membrane in it for strength and I have seen such lasting 30 years+, there is one liner on the pool market designed to also be used with ponds which is chemical free and is made to measure, I lined my dads pond and also used pool fittings such as main drain suction points low suctions and inlets, looks amazing and works perfectly

Ask a Question