what to do now

Reaction score
so i came out today only to find that my koi spawned...i knew it was close. I was unable to make a spawning mop so they are every where. i do have palnts and rocks so many of them got attached but there are a bunch of them that started to enter the pump housing. can i gather them and put them into another body of water?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You could if you have another body of water, same temp, same everything, gather them up and move them.

Reaction score
cool thanks addy...i removed some water from my pond and was able to move a few hundred i'm sure. now we wait and see. should i put a bubbler in the water for some aeration?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would think so, but I am not the best to ask, I don't try to save fry, what makes it in the ponds, makes it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Honestly, unless you're trying to raise fry and increase your numbers, I wouldn't do anything. You'll be amazed how many will make it, hiding out in plants etc.

Mine spawned a year ago and with no intervention on my part and I rehomed about 35 young koi this spring...and I probably missed about 10 that are still in the pond. I do a water change after a spawn, as it raises the ammonia levels.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Unless you plan on raising koi there would be no point in moving them. I don't try to save babies and my pond population has quadrupled the last few years.

Reaction score
Question: You can actually see the eggs? I wonder if that's what is going on with my pond. My ammonia is up, which is unusual and I lost a fish with some mysterious marks on it that don't look like a bird strike. A few of my females look super plump.

ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Question: You can actually see the eggs? I wonder if that's what is going on with my pond. My ammonia is up, which is unusual and I lost a fish with some mysterious marks on it that don't look like a bird strike. A few of my females look super plump.
Yes you can see the eggs, Depending on the size of your fish there will be quite a lot of them unless they get eaten. The females would no longer look as plump if they had already spawned. I would look elsewhere for the solution to your problem rather than blaming it on spawning.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Wes be very careful test your water for ammonia it tends to sky rocket after spawning bear that in mind

Dave

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patinmb

Latest Threads