Will this work?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I bought the Tetrapond filter thinking I could attach it to the pump I have already. That wasnt the case. I went to Lowe's and bought another pump, and it doesn't seem to bring water through the filter box, but if the filter box floats to the top, the output doesn't work. What am I doing wrong?

This is the pump.

I removed the cage thing and connected the filter box there.

Help please...

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Both links are to the pump. Is this the filter box? I put rocks in mine so it doesn’t float.
BECEB768-E71B-43D1-99DA-EF3126B4EE2E.jpeg

the “sock” is filled with crushed oyster shell and there are 2 small Fluval ceramic media bags I used to “seed” the little pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'm just wondering why couldn't you connect your existing pump to the new filter.

Some filters don't have an inlet pipe connection, just an outlet pipe and if your pump also doesn't have an inlet pipe connection, then it won't work. Is that the case?

If it's just different size plumbing, they make many adapters to cure that, but you probably already know that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Here are pictures of what I have. I put lava rock filled media bags inside the box and it still floats.

Attachments

• 20200612_121832.jpg
    20200612_121832.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 72
  • 20200612_122109.jpg
    20200612_122109.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 72
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Im assuming the fitting you have circled in red is the intake. You need a hose barb fitting that has a female thread to fit the pump side and the correct barb fitting that fits the hose on the other side. If you can only find one with a male thread, then add a threaded coupling between the hose barb and the pump.
Take the hose and the pump to a hardware store, Home Depot, Lowe's or some place like that. There are many barb fittings and adapters that you can buy, you just need to find the right one.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Im assuming the fitting you have circled in red is the intake. You need a hose barb fitting that has a female thread to fit the pump side and the correct barb fitting that fits the hose on the other side. If you can only find one with a male thread, then add a threaded coupling between the hose barb and the pump.
Take the hose and the pump to a hardware store, Home Depot, Lowe's or some place like that. There are many barb fittings and adapters that you can buy, you just need to find the right one.
Also, sometimes the “grey” couplings (in electrical?) will work better that the white ones (in plumbing). It’s something about the way they are threaded. Something I learned here many years ago, and have found to work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gohip

Latest Threads