Would a refrigerator compressor be good for aerating a deep pond?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm over in the wilds of Canada. Purpose made aerator compressors for a 14 foot deep pond seem to run about $700. Typical replacement fridge compressors (FC from now on) have a displacement of about 10 cc. Run this at 1800 rpm and you get about 18 lpm or not quite 5 gpm. FC's typically run with an output pressure up to about 120 psi.

While FC's typically have a small duty cycle - 5 to 10% - a 14 foot pond requires only 7 psi. This would mean much smaller heat up of the air.

I had one person on another forum comment that the "smog pump" (Secondary air injection) for a car was the go-to air pump for hydroponics and aquaculture. So far my reading about them is that they only produce 1-2 psi. Great for a knee deep pond, but not for something as deep as mine.

pond_.jpg

My pond in late April Most of the snow is gone. Enough of the ice as left the pond that the common wood frog (we call them duck frogs because they sound like tiny ducks) are busy with their mating calls: "Pick me!"

pond_duck_.jpg

Bufflehead duck. We don't always get a successful crop of ducks. Our pond is borderline in size, and we have lots of coyotes making it tough for shore nesting birds.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Well, you are in that pressure point where nothing really fits well. Compressors are usually too much pressure and not enough volume and fans are too much volume and not enough pressure.
Closest thing that comes to mind is a regenerative type pressure blower. The type that are used to inflate those bouncy slides and such. I bought one a few years ago for a combustion blower that produced about 7.5 psi. Those bouncy toy fans are made by the same design but out of plastic to be affordable. There may be some of these after Christmas for real cheap that were used to inflate those giant Santa yard balloons.

Ask a Question