Would this work?

Jagsfan

Donor
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Could you use bags of sand, like the 50 lb bags you get from the big box stores that are in plastic bags, and stack them to make the base for your waterfall? Keep in mind my waterfall isnt going to be anything that tall or long given the space constraints i have. Im thinking maybe 2 ft higher than the pond with a run of 3-5 feet depending on the final configuration, maybe even less than that. Im just thinking that at $3.50 a bag, i could build and layer a waterfall pretty quickly. Im trying to think of reasons why this wouldnt work, but i dont know what i dont know.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I'd be worried about what would happen when the bag starts to break down. Then your whole waterfall would settle/collapse. How about using bagged concrete? Still pretty cheap and would be a better material.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I wouldnt think a plastic bag would break down if its not in sunlight. Concrete is a good option though
I went with solid concrete slabs; cheap at the big box stores, easy to move around, modular, waterproof (basically).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There's soooooo many ways to create a little 2 foot berm sand bags sure but id place fabric around them so the fabric will hold the shape long after a paper or plastic bag would last . or even a wood wall and stack rocks in front of it or just piles of rock with some mortar to make what ever shape you want

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
concrete slabs? you mean like pavers or cinder block?
cinder blocks are typically what people think of in the 8" x 16" x 8" size, usually with two holes. Slabs are solid, 8x16x4. They do make hollow slabs, but I don't think you'll find these at the big box stores; you'd have to source them at a mason supply yard. My dad was a mason and I got very familiar with the various concrete products (as in, it was MY job to schlep them around!). Pavers are smaller; I'd use the slabs or yes, even blocks. They make solid (on one side) too but again, found at a supply yard. If I'm not mistaken, the solid slabs at Home Depot were like $1.25 a piece. Something like that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andresonjames29

Latest Threads