2 new Koi today (no pictures)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I finally got my Platinum Butterfly Koi, I think they are just beautiful. While I was there I seen another butterfly with yellow on the fins and head with mainly a white/yellowish body. I thought it was beautiful so I bought it. This is my max on my Koi. I am really looking forward to seeing them a bit bigger. I will post pictures when I can of them. They are about 5" now I guess.

Reaction score
WHAT?!?!?!?!?!? I can't wait to see them!!!

Oddly I was just going to make a post on which fish to buy. Lol! My pet store got in koi and they have a YELLOW butterfly. You know how I feel about yellow. I don't think this is as bright yellow as yours, but still nice. BUT I also saw an almost white butterfly, with just flakes of yellow (this fish has the large shiny scales which I love).

I have to go get my oldest and we are off to tennis lessons, but I will post pictures later tonight and maybe you can help me decide what to do. I'm pretty much maxing out the pond if I buy these new fish, maxing it out as in I might need to build a new one when these koi take off in size. But that's like a year or two or three. And who knows, if I lost a few goldfish, I'd be fine. I think I have to expect that some fish will die of whatever .... ? Right?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
True Maria but they can also bring great worry lets Just hope RobAmy has no problems to speak of during the Quarantine process :)

Dave;)
Dave where I get my fish, they are quarantined for me already. They are held in tanks for weeks prior to being sold. I pay a little more but it is convenient. This is one of his selling points over the competition. That is why I did not get the platinum last year, he did not have any.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Dave where I get my fish, they are quarantined for me already. They are held in tanks for weeks prior to being sold. I pay a little more but it is convenient. This is one of his selling points over the competition. That is why I did not get the platinum last year, he did not have any.

Well worth it too, that way you do not need another set up, neat idea your seller has.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I've seen koi QT'd for weeks prior to them going to their new owners hit problems and the dealerships in question where well trusted in the koi world so a period of QT should in our view still be carried out by their new owners.
RobAmy one of the biggest threats we the koi keepers now face is pandemic in the US, UK, Europe, South Africa , Far East, it sometimes doesnt present until the pond hits summer temperatures and like a flu virus seems to be changing all the time namely KHV.
Just last year a dear friend of mine (i'll give him his term of wise man in Afrikaan's "Oom", it means uncle their word for wise man).
Oom Neville took delivery of hs pre QT'd koi from well respected South Afrikaan's koi dealership they hadnt presented for KHV at the time of being QT'd but a week after these koi went into his pond his fish started to go rapidly down hill within the month all his koi had died from it 100% motality (frightening), he lost a valuable collection of koi that he like ourselves had built up over the year's and Oom Neville knows his stuff but KHV was the cause of him loosing all his koi. If he had QT'd them himself prior to release into his pond this would have been caught and nipped in the bud , so......is it still worth not QTing your new koi .
I wouldnt wish you to see you loose yours just in case because even Dealerships cannot claim they are clear of it anywhere in the world today so is it worth skippng those four extra weeks "NO".
It happened only weeks after we'd put a pre-dealershipped QT koi into our pond', so from now on QT first for us............
Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I appreciate the insight Dave.
Thank you a quick update on this , after nuking his pond filters Equipment etc he has now re-stocked his pond and I keep my thumbs crossed for him (Afrikaans for fingers crossed) and wish him well for the future but he learned as we did from him a valuable lesson there me thinks

Dave

Ask a Question