200 gallon above ground

Reaction score
Country
United States
IMG_20230413_080125518.jpg

My 3' x 6' goldfish pond with a 20 gallon bog is turning out as I envisioned it!
The plants are growing and the water is clearing nicely from the gravel sediment and the tannins leaching from the large driftwood piece I have. In addition to the 80 gph pump, each corner has a small water fall stream. Im working on growing some moss.
It started out a year ago, as a 20 gallon plastic container with an elaborate wooden water feature. Then morphed into a 35 gallon planter turned pond and the same water feature. Now to this!
My original 'rescue' fish, as I call my $0.30 comets, are now gorgeous 6-8" fat and happy goldfish! After it settles and I get the aquascape complete, I cant wait to move them into their new home!
I'm looking for suggestions on how to decorate their underwater home!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Looks like you've enjoyed the journey and that you've caught the bug :) FWIW I used a sheet of copper for my water return from my bog. It might help you preserve your wood a bit longer.

I'll make one plant recommendation for you: a Wanvisa water lily. I absolutely love mine :)

Thanks for all the pictures - it's always fun to watch the progress.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Nice job!
Gorgeous wood trimmings!
You were smart to incorporate a bog up top!
Thank you so much! Working with wood is my forte. I really like the bog concept and everything is growing very well!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looks like you've enjoyed the journey and that you've caught the bug :) FWIW I used a sheet of copper for my water return from my bog. It might help you preserve your wood a bit longer.

I'll make one plant recommendation for you: a Wanvisa water lily. I absolutely love mine :)

Thank you!! I've always enjoyed aquariums and had a small pond as a kid. It was time to get back into it!
I cant envision where the copper would be incorporated in my over flow/drain system. It's a pvc bulkhead fitting with a 1" pvc pipe that controls the depth. It's inside a larger plastic cylinder.

Reaction score
Country
United States

I looked up those water lilies and they are gorgeous. I did note they are poisonous though. Do you have them around dogs? Im a little concerned my younger dog might end up with some!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I looked up those water lilies and they are gorgeous. I did note they are poisonous though. Do you have them around dogs? Im a little concerned my younger dog might end up with some!
I do have it near my dogs but they have not and likely will not ever try to get in the pond :) Famous last words I know, but they really could not be less interested and are actually afraid of it. Course mine aren't curious puppies...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love the wanvisa, don't worry about our pups. Even if loose they would not get into the pond and eat them.

Ask a Question