K5ATG
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Aaron S submitted a new Showcase Item:

Aaron's Pond

I already started a thread about my ponding experience here on this thread:
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/my-little-hole-in-the-ground.15385/#post-239623

My intentions are that this will be more detailed.

My first experience with a pond was with an old used preformed pond with a pump.
SmallPond4.jpg

This was the pond right after it was put in. The landscaping in this picture is just breathtaking :D. We tried to get some Koi because at the time my extensive knowledge was telling me that this non filtered pond of about 100 gallons was just perfect for a pond. So we got a little koi and it disappeared. So I got another one and it had the same fate with in a few days. So I went to a pet store and got some comet feeder fish for 8 cents each, much cheaper than a koi. I did not enjoy solid green water so I experimented with building a filter for the pond and after a while all but one of the fish died.
SmallPond9.jpg

This is a pick of a filter I set up. I simply crammed the pump into a flower pot and covered it with pea gravel. It did not look the best but it worked. You can see the surviving fish near the base of the flower pot. The fish was solid orange and was flanked on each side with a white rectangular spot so he was named Fishstick.
Here is a pic of the same fish a few days ago.
Fisha08-10-2014.jpg

Now I'm going to embark on a complete makeover of my garden area of my yard. I get about 1/4 of the yard to do with as I want so I'm going to turn it into my dream garden. Come along with me on the journey.

Read more about this showcase item here...

Aaron S

K5ATG
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Don't really have a time set. When the weather cools off I am going to drain the pond because we will be cutting on the pecan trees that are over it. Hopefully we can completely remove them but they are huge. This weekend I'm going to try to make the flowerbed for the butterfly/ wildflower garden. Going to take pics of that. Right now I have a very pretty bloom from my hardy lily. Kept trying to get a pic of it but everything turned out great except the flower kept appearing too bright and it just appeared as a big pink blob. Not sure what I was doing wrong.

Aaron S

K5ATG
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Aaron S updated Aaron's Pond

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/my-little-hole-in-the-ground.15385/#post-239623

My first experience with a pond was with an old used preformed pond with a pump.
SmallPond4.jpg

This was the pond right after it was put in. The landscaping in this picture is just breathtaking :D. We tried to get some Koi because at the time my extensive knowledge was telling me that this non filtered pond of about 100 gallons was just perfect for a pond. So we got a little koi and it disappeared. So I got another one and it had the same fate with in a few days. So I went to a pet store and got some comet feeder fish for 8 cents each, much cheaper than a koi. I did not enjoy solid green water so I experimented with building a filter for the pond and after a while all but one of the fish died.
SmallPond9.jpg

This is a pick of a filter I set up. I simply crammed the pump into a flower pot and covered it with pea gravel. It did not look the best but it worked. You can see the surviving fish near the base of the flower pot. The fish was solid orange and was flanked on each side with a white rectangular spot so he was named Fishstick.
Fisha08-10-2014.jpg

Now I'm going to embark on a complete makeover of my garden area of my yard. I get about 1/4 of the yard to do with as I want so I'm going to turn it into my dream garden. Come along with me on the journey.

View updates to this showcase item...

Aaron S

K5ATG
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Aaron S updated Aaron's Pond

SmallPond4.jpg

SmallPond9.jpg

Fisha08-10-2014.jpg

View updates to this showcase item...

Aaron S

K5ATG
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Did a little bit to the pond this weekend. I mad one of @koiguy1969 Floating Planter Rings https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/floating-planter-rings.2581/
It was very easy and cheap ($8.00) to make. I was having problems with my water lettuce clogging my skimmer, and this ring solved it very well. Also added some quilt batting to my filter and it cleaned my water up better than expected. Actually I thought my was was pretty clear but after adding the quilt batting the difference was remarkable. It has been in for only 24 hours so we will see what it does after a while.
Last thing was I laid out the flower bed that is in the east side of the pond (bottom of the picture in the planning section). Between football and rain on Saturday and taking the family to Frontier City all days Sunday, I did not have as much time for the pond that I wanted. This weekend looks the same, because I have tickets for OU and Tennessee, so I will be tailgating all day then.

Aaron S

K5ATG
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Ok, back at it this year. Pretty much had to take all of last year off because of a number of health issues so the pond kind of got put on the far back burner. Looking to add to it this year with a bog filter of some kind. I have a lot of debris in the bottom of the pond and the weir on my skimmer broke so I have to rig up a new one. The biggest issue now will be to add plants in and around the pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well glad you are better but don't push yourself because the most important thing is your health

Aaron S

K5ATG
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
We decided to move the pond over to the the patio. Also the pond and the beds will be raised above the ground for easier maintenance.
Here is what the design will be:
Its going to be slow going because of my back and wallet, but this weekend we will lay everything out, take measurements and hopefully break ground.

Ask a Question