Another from Ohio!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hello!

New guy here. Just received a pond with the new place we're moving into. The pond is 10x8 and about 1.75 feet deep, though unknown amount of muck at the bottom. The house has been vacant for 2 years, so there's been no maintenance on the pond for at least that long, and who knows how much neglect before that. I'm gearing up to get it back into shape. Right after I get the hot tub moved and working, you know, before I also have an ex-wife.

I guess the only real question I have at this moment is can anyone ID this pressure filter? I'm going to need new filter media for it, not sure if there's generic media for this thing or not, haven't looked that far yet. There are no markings anywhere on it.
IMG_20160823_110539820.jpg

Other than that, here's some pics of what I'm dealing with. This was taken before we closed on the house. That metal sheet is covering a fire pit.
IMG_20160407_165137267.jpg

Here's a nice little fire we got goin' one night.
IMG_20160816_204757707.jpg

I couldn't stand the dirt anymore...
IMG_20160820_103027322.jpg

This is the upflow filter for the waterfall. It appears to be full of lava rocks and zeolite (Or some substance) I still need to figure out where that conduit looking pipe goes on the left. It does not enter that plastic box to the left, there's nothing but a drain valve in there. Which is kind of silly, since there's no check valve in the system and it all drains back through the pump anyway. Gonna need to put one in before I get any sort of life in the water.
IMG_20160823_110715107.jpg

Here's the waterfall working. I've adjusted it a little bit since this photo, but for the most part it's just like this.
IMG_20160605_163516406.jpg

Feel free to post any suggestions or observations. This is my first pond, and it was a lot of fun just figuring out how to get the waterfall working! Mostly because I didn't install it...

Thanks!

Rob

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Welcome to a fellow Buckeye :) Your pond is situated nicely with your yard as a back drop and the fire pit...well, I'm jealous!

I'm sorry I can't help you with the pressure filter. What kind of pump do you have?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks! The pump is a Danner/Pondmaster 02650 2000 GPH variety. I had to take it all apart and clean it out, but it fired right up after that. I had drained the pond at one time, up until my pump just wouldn't pump anymore. Too much muck... As I was pondering how to get all the muck out, the liner started drying a little too much for my comfort, so I just filled it back up while I ponder it some more.

IMG_20160604_141819851.jpg

I actually fell in that muck, there's about 9 or so inches. Fully, right on my back. Grosss...

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hmmm... Shop vac. Pool net. Pond company 2 miles down the road.

Decisions Decisions...
Well, looking at your avatar...... A nice glass of wine is great for helping ME make decisions, LOL! And if I had the money --- pond company 2 miles down the road -- but all are good choices (just be gentle with the liner -- they're tough, but not indestructible).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Ha! I make hundreds of gallons of wine at a time, but if I actually drink a whole glass of wine... Forget it, I couldn't make a decision if I tried. Two glasses, I can barely walk! My wife says I'm the cheapest date ever!

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I could probably swing having the company down the road come clean it up, but I've always had issues paying someone else to do something I know full well I can do. I did think of the shop vac and pool net, but figured I'd completely break the net, and there's some really big stuff in there that I don't think a shop vac would get. Never thought of a plastic snow shovel as I only have a metal one. I think I might go that route. Maybe a plastic shovel like the ones they make for grapes, though I'd definitely want a different color. That would be a serious and very expensive mistake if I ever mixed those two shovels up. LOL!

Ask a Question