Another from Ohio!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hello!

New guy here. Just received a pond with the new place we're moving into. The pond is 10x8 and about 1.75 feet deep, though unknown amount of muck at the bottom. The house has been vacant for 2 years, so there's been no maintenance on the pond for at least that long, and who knows how much neglect before that. I'm gearing up to get it back into shape. Right after I get the hot tub moved and working, you know, before I also have an ex-wife.

I guess the only real question I have at this moment is can anyone ID this pressure filter? I'm going to need new filter media for it, not sure if there's generic media for this thing or not, haven't looked that far yet. There are no markings anywhere on it.
View attachment 94154

Other than that, here's some pics of what I'm dealing with. This was taken before we closed on the house. That metal sheet is covering a fire pit.
View attachment 94158

Here's a nice little fire we got goin' one night.
View attachment 94163

I couldn't stand the dirt anymore...
View attachment 94164

This is the upflow filter for the waterfall. It appears to be full of lava rocks and zeolite (Or some substance) I still need to figure out where that conduit looking pipe goes on the left. It does not enter that plastic box to the left, there's nothing but a drain valve in there. Which is kind of silly, since there's no check valve in the system and it all drains back through the pump anyway. Gonna need to put one in before I get any sort of life in the water.
View attachment 94165

Here's the waterfall working. I've adjusted it a little bit since this photo, but for the most part it's just like this.
View attachment 94166

Feel free to post any suggestions or observations. This is my first pond, and it was a lot of fun just figuring out how to get the waterfall working! Mostly because I didn't install it...

Thanks!

Rob
Sorry, I'm new to, no help, just wanted to say hi to a fellow buckeye and to say...looks like a lot of potential to me! Good luck.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Howdy! Love the pond, and the placement! I am also from OH, columbus to be exact :)

How's it going? Have you added fish, or are you going to wait until spring?

Ask a Question