Another salt question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
I have tested my water this past week and using the liquid test kit, the ph, ammonia and nitrite levels were all in safe or optimum levels based on the color chart provided. I do not have an accurate thermometer at the moment, though. I tried the two part liquid salt test and I am not sure about the results. To me, purple is purple.

Several years ago I put my pond in trouble by taking advise to add salt and I ended up with damaged plants and as I recall
I lost a fish or two. Assuming the other levels are normal, then how important is the salt test? Is there a better and more reliable tester for salt? Some local "pond guy expert" came to our house and all he wanted was to sell me chemicals, hence the salt. That was seven or eight years ago and I have lost a fish due to water problems since then (as far as I can tell)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Are you having a problem that you are trying to fix?

Otherwise a hydrometer or refractometer could give you an indication of the salt concentration. If you know someone with a salt water aquarium, they would have either of those instruments.
If you're really unsure, do a water change.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
I cannot honestly see a problem with anything. The two large koi are quite healthy looking and the many goldfish of various size appear to be okay, although they have yet to be on the pond surface yet. I can only assume that is due to water temperature. We haven't had that many sunny and warm days strung together.
I haven't tested for salinity for a long time until today. I do not know how reliable this test kit is anymore. I have had it for probably 15 years. I hesitate to use chemicals other than koi clay. The water is nice and clear in both ponds and the stream. I can usually see close to the bottom of the bigger pond which is 3 feet deep.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Have you put salt in your pond recently? I keep a salt test kit for when I do use salt in my ponds and then when water changes are done and salt level is down, I don't test for salt anymore.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
I have not added salt in several years - maybe 7 or 8. I have changed the water in partial stages every year, however.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
then you don't need to test for salt. Salt only gets into ponds if you add it and once l is down it's gone. One less test to do!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I never add salt or chemicals and my fish are fine. The only thing I do are water changes in the spring until the pond cycles.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
The reason for that Maria is that softened water is hard on plants like your lawn and landscaping plants (they do not like sodium in their water) and drinking softened water can cause increased blood pressure for anyone that drinks it (from increased sodium intake).

Reaction score
Country
United States
The reason for that Maria is that softened water is hard on plants like your lawn and landscaping plants (they do not like sodium in their water) and drinking softened water can cause increased blood pressure for anyone that drinks it (from increased sodium intake).
Makes sense, thanks for the explanation :)

Ask a Question