Barrel, Bog or both

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Skimmer yes. Plants I have 10-15 pump for the skimmer I believe is 2400 not sure the rate drop because it's pumping up to my falls. The pump to my planter is a smaller one and I don't remember exactly. I also have an air stone in the main pond.

Is this a direct drive pump or mag-drive? You have not indicated what type/size of biofiltration you already have. In any case, if you construct the phyto-filter (bog) the appropriate size you will not need any additional filtration. 20% - 30% of the surface area of your pond would be an adequate size for the phyto-filter with a depth of 12' - 18' depending on plant specie as some are deeper rooting than others.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
N
Is this a direct drive pump or mag-drive? You have not indicated what type/size of biofiltration you already have. In any case, if you construct the phyto-filter (bog) the appropriate size you will not need any additional filtration. 20% - 30% of the surface area of your pond would be an adequate size for the phyto-filter with a depth of 12' - 18' depending on plant specie as some are deeper rooting than others.
Not sure about your pump question. What is the difference between the 2? I am sure I can get away with just the big as filtration and I will look the more natural the the barrel.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
N

Not sure about your pump question. What is the difference between the 2? I am sure I can get away with just the big as filtration and I will look the more natural the the barrel.

A direct drive pump is able to 'lift' more water to an established height than a mag-drive pump with the same gph rating.
With your current fish load, a phyto-filter (bog) should be sufficient.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I more I read and research the more I like the bog idea. Really liked the pond diggers patio bog pond series. Appreciate everyone's input and help

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Started my bog today, I will post some pictures, once I make some progress. As always I end up making multiple trips to the store because I forget stuff.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Does anyone in the north or northeast run their bog through the winter? I run my falls through the winter and was planning my new bog to use the same pump. I bought a splitter so I'm able to change my flow from my skimmer to the big or direct to the waterfall box. Wondering if I could just keep the flow through the bog ?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
After 2 years with a DIY Skippy, I am converting to a bog -- acutally, 2 bogs, as I have a small bog in my box turtle habitat that is connected to the pond system. Haven't started work on the larger one yet, but that's the project for spring. I can tell some improvement in water quality just with the little bog going (I think the turtle bog is around 6' x 3'), but still have the Skippy running as well, until the bigger bog is built. The plants are just starting to show growth, so hoping the water will improve even more.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We run our bog all winter without any trouble. I would guess a lot would depend on how your bog is constructed, the size of your bog and pump size.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thoughts, is this enough holes?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 269

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you are using a liner, put a scrap of liner between the piping and the real liner. Keeps the water from pounding on the liner, possibly wearing it.

We did chop saw slits in our piping, 2 inch pvc, 6800 gph pump. HUGE bog

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm using a plastic preformed pond as my bog.

My concern is the bog will feed my waterfall and I want to make sure I maintain a good flow to my falls

Ask a Question