Bee Sting???

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
Has anyone experienced a fish being stung by a bee, and possibly having any swelling? I'm actually really hoping that is the case here, because the alternate possibility could be mouth rot, and I have no idea how to handle that.

We have a colony of bees collecting water from our pond, so hundreds of bees all day long. Sometimes a bee will fall in, and be struggling in the water. Frank (my Chagoi) is always skimming up at the top of the pond, and often near the bees. I'm thinking if he tried to eat a bee or got too close, he could have been stung here where you see the pink and swelling on the side of his mouth. (Sorry for my arm crowding the images, but the best way to get Frank to pose for pictures is to reach in--he loves to play!)

bee sting 1.JPG
bee sting 2.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Could be a bee sting. We have 6 colonies, they stay out of our big pond, but we do have small no fish ponds and the bog which is full of pea gravel plants etc. The bees prefer those areas. It is a highway of bees.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
Could be a bee sting. We have 6 colonies, they stay out of our big pond, but we do have small no fish ponds and the bog which is full of pea gravel plants etc. The bees prefer those areas. It is a highway of bees.

I am THRILLED that the bees have found our pond as a water source. I worry so much about the various threats to honey bee populations, and it's rewarding to see them thriving in my own backyard. The nice thing is, I react very badly to stings, but these guys let me do all my pond work... I don't bother them and they don't bother me or get aggressive at all. I just really do hope it's nothing more than that on Frank.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I walk in the bog all the time stepping over the bees, they ignore me.

Maybe make a shallow area with some pea gravel, they love to land on it and get a drink.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
@addy1 they use my water hyacinths for landing on and collecting from. It works well for them! Especially the bunch I have in a floating mesh thingy--the water stays more still there. They run into trouble when I see them trying to collect from the waterfalls, which inevitably sweeps them into the water. Here's a short video...

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Neat!
They use my bog and the small ponds that have lily pads, arachanis and some string floating. It is so much fun watching them come and go, continuously.
When there is a nectar dearth, they get even more water, use it to dilute the honey to make it easier to digest and feed the larvae. That is when you will even more bees flying in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I have no idea if a fish cold be stung by a bee, but I imagine anythings possible. Love your Frank....as you know I'm longing for a chagoi :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If the bee is alive and it is bit, bumped, capable it will sting. Pure instinct to protect the hive group. Lose your life for your fellow bees.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Koi can die from bee stings seems to be the general consensous CNote but then again my friend so can we, as to treating a sting apart from removing the sting there isnt really much you can do but hope Frank pulls through.
The other thing you could do would be to contact a koi dealership to see if they have ever had cause to treat threir koi for one and ask them what course of treatment if any they did.
There is nothing in my library of books on treating bee stings that I can find anywhere .
Personally I'd check the wound for a sting then dab the area with Propolis

Dave

Dave

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have noticed the frogs do not hang out in that area of the bog anymore, they must know they sting!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
Koi can die from bee stings seems to be the general consensous CNote but then again my friend so can we, as to treating a sting apart from removing the sting there isnt really much you can do but hope Frank pulls through.
The other thing you could do would be to contact a koi dealership to see if they have ever had cause to treat threir koi for one and ask them what course of treatment if any they did.
There is nothing in my library of books on treating bee stings that I can find anywhere .
Personally I'd check the wound for a sting then dab the area with Propolis

Dave

Dave

@Dave 54 I came to the same conclusion with my research yesterday. Great news is.... he never showed any change in health or behavior, and the swelling and redness are very much reduced as of this morning! I'll continue to keep a watchful eye, but I think he'll be okay. Now I just have to remain hopeful that I do not lose any koi to bee stings all summer, with the bees using my pond for water harvest. I've read that if I track which direction the bees are coming in from, I can add a water source nearer to the hive, and they may choose that instead. Would be worth a try! I want everyone to win in the end, including the lovely bees.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just put a nice pan of pea gravel outside of your pond, add some algae, moss the bees will start using it. You need to put it near the place they are drinking from now, they have done the wiggle dance to all the other bees letting them know water is right here! Even if you move the plants they will continue to return to the spot, just make them a more attractive place to go.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
Just put a nice pan of pea gravel outside of your pond, add some algae, moss the bees will start using it. You need to put it near the place they are drinking from now, they have done the wiggle dance to all the other bees letting them know water is right here! Even if you move the plants they will continue to return to the spot, just make them a more attractive place to go.

That may work! My water hyacinth, of course, are multiplying quickly this time of year. I can easily move a few into perhaps an elevated birth bath near the pond. YAY--another project. :D

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I moved some plants in the deck pond, the bees were drinking by landing on them. I never thought anything about moving the plants, well I had to put in a floating platform, slowly move it closer to other plants, they were landing in the water and drowning. crazy bees!

This year they have imprinted on the bog and the small loop fishless ponds. I leave string algae, plants, moss all alone. The bees use them as landing spots to drink.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
@Dave 54 I came to the same conclusion with my research yesterday. Great news is.... he never showed any change in health or behavior, and the swelling and redness are very much reduced as of this morning! I'll continue to keep a watchful eye, but I think he'll be okay. Now I just have to remain hopeful that I do not lose any koi to bee stings all summer, with the bees using my pond for water harvest. I've read that if I track which direction the bees are coming in from, I can add a water source nearer to the hive, and they may choose that instead. Would be worth a try! I want everyone to win in the end, including the lovely bees.
Thats good news my friend , I would do what @addy1 says and place a pan of pea gravel away from the pond .
Your problem at the moment is that you have with your plant Island a ready made landing pad for them to land on , it may well be that you'll have to remove it to stop them
By the way nice tattoo's C Note not gone so far as to cover my arms like you but I have over 22 the largest being on my back which is a memorial to John H Bonham of Led Zeppelin drummer fame

Dave

Ask a Question